The Gallery of Just Plain Assholes (Part 1)

How the hell are criminal charges subject to arbitration?

12 Likes

Because WHAT ABOUT CORPORATIONS… I guess?

7 Likes

I know one. Really, he exists and everything. I’ve told him they ought to keep him in an enclosure in Edinburgh zoo as an evolutionary oddity.

2 Likes

So - if these people were to murder the CEO - it would have to go to arbitration?

8 Likes

Maybe…

4 Likes

I believe it is a civil suit, and all the people involved signed agreements not to sue outside the church and to arbitrate within it. You probably have to do that just to get in the door.

The ruling comes just days before Masterson’s scheduled arraignment on three charges of rape between 2001 and 2003. In early November, that hearing was set for Jan 6.

Those charges he ain’t gonna arbitrate within the church…

4 Likes

I just don’t understand this about US law: you can contract away statutory rights? What about constitutional ones?

Nuts. Absolutely crazy.

6 Likes

I don’t think it is 100% effective for the organization. Like, contracts that sign away your rights to hold a company liable for injury, etc., won’t hold up if the company is proved to have been willfully negligent, I am pretty sure. They have to have been acting in good faith and taking normal precautions.

If they could prove the harassment was an actual policy in effect by the church, I doubt it would go to mediation. Sadly, it would be hard to prove that it was the organization itself behind the harassment, and not just others within the church acting on their own. That is probably why the judge ruled this way, seeing it as a dispute between members of the church, and not the church itself harassing the victims.

Take what I am saying with a grain of salt, I am not a lawyer. I was raised better than that :face_with_hand_over_mouth:.

1 Like

Over here companies often have signs up saying things like we accept no liability for…
And then small print saying this does not effect your statutory rights, in other words “here are some words that have no standing in hat we hope will discourage you but actually hav no impact”. Mediation clauses are more between companies.

6 Likes

The Internet will never lose its ability to surprise me.

5 Likes

I’ll bet against them.

Though that might just be a protective response and only experience will prove it’s effectiveness.

Still a noble effort.

6 Likes

That’s basically what an NDA is. You sign over your freedom of speech in exchange for… :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ll allow the Mitch one, but this is just a waste of effort.

7 Likes

Were both places tagged at the same time, by people working together?

2 Likes

McConnell’s home was spray painted. On the other coast, Pelosi’s house was decorated with a pig’s head and blood. Not sure if linked.

6 Likes

I get the message to McConnell, but the pig head at Nancy’s place seems off the mark to me.
I mean, did you want to send a mafia-esque strongman message, but couldn’t afford a racehorse to butcher? So you went down to the carneceria and bought a cut that could have fed quite a party and just left it there?
wow. original. (Nancy SOTU clap)

11 Likes

I’m guessing these were by pro-Trump terrorists, hence the harsher message to Pelosi.

10 Likes

And more costly. I was on the bus line that took a round-about trip to Coronado Island (San Diego) right around election time, and you never saw such huge decor in support of Trump. HUGE Trump flags, MAGA signs, the works.

7 Likes
11 Likes

If it were me, I would just not get sick. :roll_eyes:

20 Likes