The highlight of the Superbowl was this trailer for Solo: A Star Wars Story

It’s hard to watch because we all know what a young Harrison Ford looks like from The Virginian, Apocalypse Now, American Graffiti, etc… I haven’t seen any of these Prequels/Sequels in the last 10 years so don’t think I’ll start now…

Yeah, but in Solo his cape is dark blue. He didn’t start wearing Periwinkle (truly a majestic color fitting for a person of high social standing) until later in life.

6 Likes

No he wasn’t.

3 Likes

Also, star of the show Atlanta and a native, from out Stone Mountain way.

3 Likes

I think there might have been a touch of CGI enhancement here or there but that was definitely a real actor in a Wookiee suit (though not Peter Mayhew this time around). Even Yoda was a rubber puppet again.

4 Likes

I, for one, was greatly pleased to see the return of rubber Yoda. Other than being green-ish and having the ears, CGI Yoda just never looked quite right.

5 Likes

Particularly when he was bouncing around like a cartoon flea. Frankly I think even giving him a lightsaber was a mistake; he should have been beyond anything as pedestrian as one-on-one sword combat.

2 Likes

I’m ok with either version, but his fight with The Emperor is still the best bit of Star Wars this side of the three originals.

And his use of the Force in his fight with Dooku was stupid too. Dooku distracts him, buying time to escape by causing a big heavy object to fall towards unconscious Kenobi (or was it Anakin?) so Yoda makes a big show of force-levitating and throwing said object rather than just force-shoving his friend out of the way and then force-pinching the fuel line for the getaway ship. But best not to overthink these things, I suppose.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m very happy to be wrong about Chewie here, that’s a relief.

Although if the “real” costume looked CGI to my casual middle-aged eyes (hmm, and apparently others) how far are we through the uncanny valley…? Are we raising a generation of moviegoers who prefer or even demand CGI creature FX? :wink:

ETA: Having watched the trailer again, with my kids, I think what’s slightly offputting is the “I was thrown out of flight school for having a mind of my own…” tough guy background narration. I don’t see Han in “flight school” AL ALL!

Also, for anyone who wants to know the true story of Han’s childhood, it’s already been revealed (hilariously), at the end of:

1 Like

Perfect reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll say it: I loved that. Yoda was supposed to be a great lightsaber fighter and I always wondered how a little frog like Yoda could be that.

Having him do that worked for me on a couple of levels: first and foremost I loved the dissonance of this elder creature using the force to be an explosive combatant. Then there is the aspect of him being a small green creature: jumping around like a frog just fit to my mind. How else would a little green frog be known as a great swordsman? What other style could he use?

Force use aside (and let’s be honest, the single coolest use of the Force was Darth Maul’s casual chucking of a small piece of debris to open a door in the Phantom Menace’s epic Duel of the Fates), Yoda’s lightsaber use was awesome :slight_smile:

Han used to be an Imperial pilot/cadet. That was the flight school he was thrown out of: Imperial bad guy flight training.

1 Like

At no point in the original trilogy did anyone say Yoda was supposed to be a great lightsaber combatant. If anything he seemed openly contemptuous of the things in The Empire Strikes Back, advising Luke to focus on his spiritual/mental development instead of physical combat skills (“Wars do not make one great,” “Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.”)

3 Likes

Glad to see Im not the only asshole with that opinion.
Ewan Mcgregor killed the last interest remaining for Star Wars, haven’t seen anymore following “The CLone Wars”

If you haven’t actually watched any Star Wars from the post-Lucas era how do you know it all sucks?

1 Like

Sun Tzu said the best way to win was not to fight. The best know physical force is the worst way to resolve things. Doesn’t mean they’re not good at it. Many martial artists/MMA fighters/boxers avoid fights because they know the damage they can do (and many others are violent psychopaths who love fighting).

Sure, it’s not mentioned in the OT. But in TPM he is a lightsaber instructor. And (apparently) in the book of TPM he is refered to as a master of lightsaber combat.

What made Star Wars interesting was the actual scale models/ships/puppets with stop motion, a great music score and actual stage sets with a decent cast to float the show.

The transition to CGI / green screen movies , IMO, lost the aesthetics of realism of physical props over intangible ‘effects’.

Just my .02 cents since

1 Like

A valid complaint for the prequels, but perhaps you don’t realize just how much the newest movies have made use of physical props, creature costumes, and practical effects. Some of the behind-the-scenes footage from the new movies is really fun to geek out over.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.