The Juicero is an impressive piece of over engineered hardware

From a “competitor”.

Supposedly the benefit of the bag is that it makes cleanup less of a pain.

Step 2 looks sketchy as hell. If it’s full of diced produce, why is it paper thin?

2 Likes

Exactly. For what they are trying to accomplish (flat-squeezing a bag of fruit pulp), the decision to design a machine that could probably crush gravel makes some sense. It’s the fact that they could have accomplished the same function with a roller at about 1/10 the force that makes this thing ridiculous.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem like one would be able to get much juice out of it. For an actual juicer you end up having to put in a decent amount of produce in it to get a lot of juice unless you run some foods that are high in water content. I don’t think one can really improve upon using a blender or juicer though, and if someone’s concern is the cleanup vs practicality then clearly their priorities are in the wrong place.

1 Like

And some just look like they’re overbuilt. Not necessarily “chromed plastic,” but the parts that play the role of the “anvil” are often quite suspect.

Urchins are ubiquitous, and they work for ha’pennies.

3 Likes

Yeah usually it’s for consumer models, one has to end up buying ones made for more commercial purposes to make sure they’ll hold up. Which is why i made sure to mention vintage as well, since those will typically be built to last.

Good tip. Thanks. I just need to figure out how to stop the scurvy- and rickets-ridden urchins from sipping any juice. Not that they know it’s vitamins they need. We cannot have any leakage, after all.

3 Likes

They can get their vitamins from the botanicals in their gin ration!

1 Like

Forged parts are made from molten material into a mold and pressing it really hard. Afterward some finishing work is typically needed (polishing, removing casting marks, and so on) depending on what the use is. An interior frame that’ll never see the light of day won’t need much/any finishing work, while other parts may need a lot of polishing or plating. It’s cheap, fast, and easy without much waste to contend with.

Machined parts are basically ground out of a solid piece of metal (called a billet) using a CNC machine. It’s incredibly slow, creates a bunch of waste from all of the unused metal as well as the copious lubricant required to keep the machining head from overheating. There’s much less finishing work required. The parts are lighter, stronger, and in general cooler looking than their forged counterparts.

Forging is used for creating a lot of something with relatively simple parameters. Things like frames, doors, and the like where you don’t need extremely tight tolerances. Machining on the other hand can make all kinds of complicated shapes with extremely tight tolerances. Things like iPhone unibodies, precision aircraft parts, and the like that have weird shapes with very tight tolerances benefit from machining.

Another way to think of it is forging is additive, machining is subtractive.

There’s also stamping which uses a press to stamp shapes out of a blank of metal. It’s the lowest quality of all and can only work with flat shapes, but it’s also the cheapest for making a lot of something.

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS572US572&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=your+juicing+diet+is+shit

[quote=“fuzzyfungus, post:40, topic:99776”]All I can imagine is “unpleasant discovery late in testing”; but that would suggest almost zero prototyping. How would this have come about?[/quote]Funny you should mention that.

Evans secured funding in 2014 by showing 3D-printed renderings of the product without a working prototype

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-04-19/silicon-valley-s-400-juicer-may-be-feeling-the-squeeze

1 Like

You’re referring to Apple products here? I’d be surprised if you could buy Apple PCBs in any market, that seems like something they would control.

Or their priority is legitimately cleanup. In an office, for example, the choice might be to have a no-cleanup-necessary juice machine or no juice machine.

Outside of Shenzhen, you mean?

3 Likes

Good point. Though it seems like a strange thing to keep at an office. Where i work people make their blended smoothies at home and bring it in. Oh well, i guess every sucker needs to be separated from their money.

Surviving winter in Siberia?

1 Like

I was exaggerating.

My point was that it’s easier/faster to consume the nutrients of vegetables when they are in juice form, rather than having to chew on solids. And you can fit the juice of X amount of vegetables in your stomach, while you might only be able to hold only a small fraction of that X amount in solid form.

A lot of veggies in their unadulterated form tends to have a lot of fiber. Juicing does allow you to get more nutrition from them, which is a benefit especially for those that have medical conditions.

2 Likes

Ha’pennies AND a gin ration? I’m starting to prefer a few extra cogs and some real steam. A steam powered juice mangle, eh? Paths will be beaten to my door, for sure.

2 Likes

No, forged parts are made from deforming materials using heat, pressure, and tools that deliver the desired forces and shapes. Molten materials poured into molds are cast, not forged.

1 Like