The Juicero is an impressive piece of over engineered hardware

3 Likes

How does it press the bag? Flat or at a slight angle to squeeze the juice out (or does it just count on gravity and the tensile strength of the bag?).

Rather, I wonder how the machine would work as a tortilla press.

1 Like

It’s my fault. I meant casting and said forging

2 Likes

Modelled after the Stonero used by the Internal Revenue Department.

Speaking of over-engineered, I see that the power supply board has a five-pole LC filter on the AC line to suppress outgoing radio interference. (That’s the two orange coils and three grey rectangular capacitors.) This is twice as much filtering as I’ve EVER seen on a line-powered gizmo of any sort. It’s a sign that the engineers who built this were applying band-aid solutions instead of thinking it through.

They may not have employed anyone over the age of 30 on this design project.

10 Likes

I have Dr Veblen for you on Lne 1.

1 Like
2 Likes

Easy mistake to make. Of course, the processes are often closely related, with cast blanks later forged to final shape. It just jumped out at me, as a long-time metal head.

1 Like

Fiber is an anti-nutrient

1 Like

4 Likes

Not now! Can’t you see i’m in the middle of buying a juicer??

1 Like

Ahem. B-36 anyone?
a.k.a. “2 turning, 2 burning, 2 smoking, 2 joking, and 2 MIA.”

Yeah, the salesperson says the board has been repaired which leads me to believe it was scavenged from a return or something. I doubt there are factories churning out non-Apple iPhone boards.

I’d say that their web site doesn’t do much to dispel suspicions that they are a bunch of marketing hipsters who occasionally play at engineering when some sort of preening brand-babble requires it.

2 Likes

3 kind of looks like that some sensitive part of that elephant is being gently probed.

1 Like

https://fuseproject.com/work/superflex/aura-powered-suit/?focus=overview

I’d … want to see some data on this … interesting … idea.

The writeup mentions ‘batteries, motors; and control boards’(apparently each of the little hexagonal nodules contains them, should be fun to remove for cleaning); so I think that they still have a chance at “Project could really use a strategically placed ‘:’”; but it sure looks like the sort of project where I’d want fewer ‘brand’ people and more biomechanics expertise.

1 Like

Of I had to guess the knock-off boards would be partially knocked off, no one knows how to lay out the copper exactly the same way. The raw materials probably fall off the back of the truck at the supplier to the development partner without drilling or cuts and then the work to make a knock off board is minimal. At least with what I have seen in Shenzhen.

I imagine it is also harder now that the entire phone isn’t being built within a 45 minute drive of the Science Museam area.

1 Like

A company can make money on such shenanigans only if spare parts are actually cheap to make. In that case markup that company can charge authorised repair centres/customers can be significant.

This works for Apple as they are able to drive volumes up and drive cost down. So parts are cheap for them but expensive for every one else.

Now in this case… I doubt that Juicero ever made (let alone sold) enough of these units to drive the volume of these spare parts high enough for manufacturing cost to go significantly down. Custom components manufactured for a small series device such as this will cost a lot. In the end I think you would end up with spare parts that are just plain old expensive to everyone, customer, repair centre and company.

Seems that they were not cutting corners when making these babies. This frankly surprised me. Reading about this device I fully expected to see a half empty plastic box with a flimsy standard issue electric motor and a bit of plasticky mechanic.

1 Like

Why would you say that? Let’s ignore silly purpose of the device. I would always take something that consist of populously built metal parts over something that has a bunch of off-the-shelf plasticky bit.

I’d say this product is beautifully built. You may even get couple of hundreds of dollars worth of hardware here. It’s the whole silly use scenario that makes it not justify the cost of a device.

What bothers me is that this was built with single purpose of squeezing juice out of a plastic bag, plus the whole bit about trying to lock customers into a supply loop with DRMed bags and such nonsense.

1 Like