The map library

Whoa, whoa, whoa. As someone who has lived in Missouri for ~20 years, one Missouri is more than enough!

5 Likes

Ah, sorry, I thought you were on the Kansas side. Which also got screwed by my switcheroo.

5 Likes

No no, I just moved back to Kansas like 2 years ago. My point still stands that we don’t need another Missouri where Georgia is :wink:

3 Likes

I know NJ has a large Italian population, but that’s going too far!

Meryl Streep Jersey GIF by Golden Globes

South Jersey, which mostly wound up here on that map…

under the sea loop GIF by Doze Studio

7 Likes

#cursed!

7 Likes

Bloody hell. Maine folk would melt in the middle of the Great Lakes, Jersey folk would be lost by the lack of water front not containing sharks, Yoopers would be pissed they have to talk to anyone not their immediate family or neighbor, and lower peninsula folks would have a really hard time dealing with colder winters.

:flushed::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

This map is technically incorrect. As someone who once lived a block from the Long Branch Beach and spent time in his youth at the Sandy Hook Beach (watching Pete Seeger at Clearwater Festivals) and went a couple of times to the Wildwood Beach, well, the Jersey Shore is all of the beaches put together - which I believe to be correct whichever state you live in.

1 Like

I think most places say “coast” rather than “shore”, though.

1 Like

Baltimore, MD will say ocean. For example, we’re going down the ocean when referring to Ocean City.

The map is general. There are bound to be local differences that were not captured.

4 Likes
9 Likes

(from US Census Bureau, Where Do Male and Female Same-Sex Couples Live?)

6 Likes

The Savannah? What about the Chattahoochee? It’s longer and runs through more of the state, including through ATL…

Or Apalachicola…

vs.

:thinking:

6 Likes

Also there’s already a Yukon. I suppose Alaska could have been Yukon first, but only if the Russians decided to name it that, not the Americans. And for the negative effects of naming a place the same as one in the next country over, kindly see North Macedonia.

4 Likes

In Louisiana, the Mississippi River is longer than the Atchafalaya. Similarly in Illinois.

Maybe the map maker decided that if a state is already named after a river (like MS), other states have to use the name of their second river. I notice that no states have their current names moved to a different state. For example, the Missouri River is longer in Montana than it is in Missouri, but Montana isn’t renamed to Missouri on this map.

4 Likes

Yes, the mapmaker did say that if a state already used the name then pick a different one. States were named in order of which they entered the union.

I’d be on board with team Chattahoochee

6 Likes

See what happens when I don’t read the replies…

5 Likes

Thank You So Much GIF by euphoria

I feel like since the River Keepers and other environmental groups have worked so hard to clean her up since the 70s, and the river through town is pretty much alive again, she should get her flowers!

6 Likes

That’s not Italy, that’s the UP! I don’t want to live in New Jersey!

ETA:

Thank you for your understanding.

5 Likes