The map library

…I guess the illustration is a different species of Papaver judging from the leaves, but I’m still not quite sure what you’re getting at with the difference. :confused:

Oh, sorry, I thought it would be obvious. Deformation professionelle, I guess.

The “usual” poppy - depicted above - is Papaver rhoeas. That’s the one which is used in remembrance for the millions of people killed in WW I.

The second is the source of opium, and was used to pacify children. The species epitheton somniferum means sleep-inducing (literally, carrier of sleep).

Sugar is stimulating the reward system in a human brain.
Opioids also do that, but also do a bit more…

4 Likes

That Forebears site has some interesting ideas on the shapes of e.g. Ohio and Michigan

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Papaver somniferum is also where poppy seed comes from, so it didn’t occur to me why you would expect any other type. But then I suppose in Europe one might expect red poppies by default. They do have chemically related alkaloids like rhoeadine, and there are a few old reports blaming them for livestock poisoning, but for sure not ones like morphine.

1 Like

Re: Mississippi

5 Likes

The legal boundaries of these states include water boundaries.

This is an interesting site on its own.

6 Likes

Huh. Does Ohio really own the water all the way up to the Niagara river, then? But Michigan’s outline, including the water, does match what they show. Interesting!

1 Like

Apparently so! I had to look this up:

It is hereby declared that the waters of Lake Erie consisting of the territory within the boundaries of the state, extending from the southerly shore of Lake Erie to the international boundary line between the United States and Canada, together with the soil beneath and their contents, do now belong and have always, since the organization of the state of Ohio, belonged to the state as proprietor in trust for the people of the state…

So Ohio basically claimed all of Lake Erie up to the Canada border, meaning that neither Pennsylvania nor New York own any of it. You take a swim or boat out of Buffalo, and you better follow the laws of Ohio, buster!

ETA it also means that Google Maps is wrong!

5 Likes

Wow, TIL! Thanks for doing the legwork and looking that up for me. I did a (very) quick search but didn’t find such a reference

ETA:
Hm. Wikipedia says the enabling act of 1802 lays things out differently, but I’ve definitely hit the point where effort outweighs interest

Bounded on the east by the Pennsylvania line, on the south by the Ohio River, to the mouth of the Great Miami River, on the west by the line drawn due north from the mouth of the Great Miami aforesaid, and on the north by an east and west line drawn through the southerly extreme of Lake Michigan, running east after intersecting the due north line aforesaid, from the mouth of the Great Miami until it shall intersect Lake Erie or the territorial line, and thence with the same through Lake Erie to the Pennsylvania line aforesaid.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Between this & the map, I am laughing so hard that my daughter came downstairs to check on me.
(She did not find it quite as funny as I did)

1 Like

I don’t remember how we arrived at the subject (though it was weird, because I’d been reading Burroughs by that point), but my grandmother mentioned being able to buy paregoric. (Come to find out, that was possible until 1970, much later than I’d imagined.)

(Also found out that Immodium used to be Schedule II)

5 Likes

I remember being administered paregoric as a child, but I was only 4 in 1970.

4 Likes

Bangor and Essex are the odds ones out for me. Those are just normal places elsewhere. I had to really think twice to even see the innuendo

1 Like

Can’t remember either. Must have been under the influence.

Nah, kidding.

To get back on topic:

Via: maps-and-graphs

Interesting maps, but sadly quite dated.

4 Likes

More topical mapping

2 Likes

Electronic maps are a wonderful thing, but…

I have to admit using Google Maps on a North Shore hike, but just for the GPS, honest!

6 Likes

Yep, topo map apps are the item of choice for this kind of thing. Backed up by paper, of course.

2 Likes

I love CalTopo. So many layer options.

How “Jam-that-big-bodacious-love-missile-where-the-sun-don’t-shine” Illinois was missed, I’ll never know.

1 Like