The map library

03e70b09c094b8c84cda529b3c73bd1bb8f3505c_2_1035x715

8 Likes
4 Likes

I think apologies are owed to the Pacific Northwest and Maine.

2 Likes

According to this, I’m surrounded by outgoing, disagreeable, undisciplined, and neurotic people. :thinking: However, they’re well aware of that and willing to try new things…

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Moving takes a lot of work! :wink:

4 Likes

Today I learned about Spilhaus projection, which shows the oceans as one continuous body.

18 Likes
10 Likes

A World Map With No National Borders and 1,642 Animals

9 Likes

Quick, fire up the Biologistman signal, I need to know whether this is accurate or not!

2 Likes

U.S. life expectancy at birth, 2010-2015, by census tract. Not too surprising…

3 Likes

A couple “vice” related maps I made last year using WHO data…

Alcohol consumption per capita, 2019:

Tobacco use as % of persons 15 and older, 2020:

7 Likes

Hey America, Try that in a small town!

1 Like

These are really interesting.
I’m still kind of wrapping my head around the different implications, and why and how we measure things like we do.
That alcohol is measured and reported in per capita consumption, for example, vs. tobacco being measured in how many people partake overall with no measure of quantity.
Curious. But interesting.

5 Likes

I work with government data every day (primarily census products and medical). Different measures often are inconsistent, such as alcohol consumption (quantity) and tobacco use (prevalence), but it’s mostly due to an inability to capture/quantify every characteristic of the subject of interest. Alcohol can be quantified pretty easily since it’s ingested, and we know the alcohol content of beer, wine, spirits, etc. and sales thereof. Tobacco can be chewed, smoked, snuffed, vaped, etc, and the method may affect the amount of nicotine consumed. That’s one reason.

Another is that like a lot of orgs that report various health, economic, demographic, or social indicators, the WHO chooses to report selected measures that it’s determined – through research, experience, and (in many cases) availability of raw data – to be the most useful or indicative. Rather than trying to exhaustively report all health data (which would be prohibitively expensive even were it possible), it’s picked out characteristics that it can pull from as many nations as possible and that have the most predictive value.

Sorry if this sounds pedantic! But I’m a data nerd. :man_shrugging:t4:

Edit: The complete list of WHO indicators is here. There are hundreds. But the annual reports, where I got the data for the maps above, include only about 50 indicators.

12 Likes

Not at all. I figured you were working with what you had, and appreciate the clarification re: tobacco usage. I hadn’t considered the different means of ingestion.
Fellow pseudo-data nerd here. I’ve worked with gov’t data and one time had to figure out what was meant when HUD housing electricity use was reported in gallons… :joy:

5 Likes

In what way?

1 Like

England is—for the first time in more than almost 1,500 years—no longer a majority Christian country. The big winner is not any other religion, but “no religion.” This is, in other words, also England’s “Dover Beach” moment, when the Sea of Faith retreats in a “melancholy, long, withdrawing roar.”

4 Likes

This framing is disturbing for a few reasons. First, it leads with disappearing instead of decreasing. Second, is non-white political leadership really a good starting point when those leaders are members of groups still very much in the minority? Third, I don’t see anything that mentions the percentage of Christians within those minority groups.

I mean, who mentions Obama in an article about religion in England but conveniently omits that he’s a Christian? Presenting this story about Christianity as “what’s taking its place”…

Emotion Reaction GIF

6 Likes

I’m not familiar at all with the UK gov’s census methodology, but the reporting I found doesn’t cross ethnicity with religion.

EDIT: That’s not to dismiss your point, just noting that the data may not be available to the author of this article.

6 Likes

Don’t be sorry! Keep on nerding!

Can you recommend a free online map-making tool? For some reason which currently escapes me, I want to make a fairly simple map of Canada. My go-to graphics package (MSPaint :slightly_smiling_face:) can’t import data.

4 Likes

This needs to be a slogan.

Copy/Paste into Paint from SnippingTool, perhaps? Using a blank Canada template as source.

4 Likes