The messy fight to stop California's pool diarrhea signs

In my defense, I didn’t know I had active diarrhea until it activated. I wouldn’t have been in the pool if I’d known, I promise.

2 Likes

Thats logorrhea.

3 Likes

@bobtato I am not going to forgive you for putting that link in. Yes, I know, I hovered over the link and saw the url and clicked on it either way and then proceeded to click through 5 more pages, but I am still blaming you.

fwiw: I feel a lot of sympathy for folks at that link, that is what stopped me looking more, the profound sadness at the human condition and we actually have it quite good compared to the vast majority of the planet, I realize that.

ok, this whole thread went seriously sideways for me.

1 Like

The absolute worst superpower to activate.

2 Likes

Actually . . . if I could genetically engineer a 4 foot long distended prehensile rectum. . . diarrhea on command could be pretty useful.

1 Like

“Form of: a 4-foot-long distended prehensile rectum!”

2 Likes

“Shape of: one quart spicy brown mustard!”

1 Like

“Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his asshole to talk? His
whole abdomen would move up and down you dig farting out the words. It was unlike anything I ever heard.
This ass talk had sort of a gut frequency. It hit you right down
there like you gotta go. You know when the old colon gives you the elbow and it feels sorta cold inside, and you know all you have to do is turn loose? Well this talking hit you right down there, a bubbly, thick
stagnant sound, a sound you could smell”

2 Likes

The main issue I see with that is pretty simple: how’s any random person going to know if it’s infectious or not? Given that you know of your condition, and I’m pretty sure they aren’t requiring you to submit a background check in order to use the pool, you can probably ignore the sign.

1 Like

Well, what’s the point of having the signs if a large number of people are supposed to ignore them?

There’s a blast from the past, if you’ll pardon the expression.

And according to the little number bubble next to that link, as I write this there were eight people who’d not heard of her before, and now won’t forget.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Well, it’s not a direct link.

Well, what’s the point of having the signs if a large number of people are supposed to ignore them?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.
Realistically? Because it made someone feel that they did good for the world.

Then again, I’m usually a pretty firm believer in rules not being absolutes in general. If you know that for whatever reason this sign shouldn’t apply to you, and there’s actually a reason for it, then I think it’s justifiable.

This mostly applies only if you know you’re good, of course: I think the advantages of keeping the pool and diarrhea separate are pretty clear.

1 Like

5 Likes

The ubiquitous and useless Prop. 65 warnings are hard to miss, but I’ve never seen any of those other examples.

One that I haven’t seen for a long time is the earthquake warnings on unretrofitted old masonry buildings:

Which seems usefully informative. I guess those buildings all got retrofits.

1 Like

That would be a dentist state.

1 Like

Yeah, but that would make the sign even more confusing.

1 Like

Oh, so now you’re saying my nanny can’t also be a dentist?! It’s 2016. Nanny can be whatever Nanny wants.

My kid’s swim school has the “active diarrhea” sign right next to the one stating that toddlers must wear swim diapers. I just keep thinking “yeah, because swim diapers are 100% water tight, and no poop water swishes out the leg holes when a kid with water and a turd is flopping about…”. I just keep faith that the chlorine is doing it’s job.

2 Likes

and the physician asks if you could bring in a sample.

“Um, that’s kind of why I’m here, doc…I have some on me right now…”

1 Like