The most normal speaker at CPAC is a Japanese cult member whose leader is the reincarnated Buddha from Venus

Originally published at: The most normal speaker at CPAC is a Japanese cult member whose leader is the reincarnated Buddha from Venus | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Hard to pass up an opportunity like that, do you have any idea how much it would cost to book all those speakers separately?

29 Likes

Do not taunt the Happy Science Fun Ball!

20 Likes

36 Likes

Yes and yes?

23 Likes

Indeed, why not both?

15 Likes

QuickVibrantBichonfrise-size_restricted

21 Likes

CPAC’s organisers seem almost determined to exceed my worst expectations of the weekend’s activities. Between this and the golden idol of Biff, I think I’m going to reserve my surprise when I discover that the convention’s catering menu is comprised only of low-protein gruel.

8 Likes

15 Likes

It’s grift all the way down.

15 Likes

The GQP is no longer a functioning political party and should not be treated as such. They are a tool of grifters and charlatans, and it’s nothing but bullshit and snake oil from top to bottom.

18 Likes

Happy Science looks a lot like the Supreme Truth cult.

3 Likes

‘…channel the psychic spirits of anyone from Quetzalcoatl to Bashar al-Assad to Natalie Portman

I’m no expert in these things, (if I were I’d be busy developing a lucrative Goop franchise), but doesn’t Natalie Portman still kind of need her psychic spirit?

8 Likes

It’s on loan the way museums pass around stolen cultural items.

4 Likes

Once you’ve seen one Japanese syncretic new religion, you’ve seen them all: Aum Shinrikyo (the ones that did the sarin gas attacks back in the 90s), Ma-Hikari (the healing with divine light from their hands people), Happy Science, etc.

What I find funny about the Happy Science people is things like:

1. Back in the 90’s, the Happy Science founder was was actually a target of assassination by the Aum Shinrikyo using a nerve agent, but the attempt failed. If there’s one thing self-proclaimed messiahs can’t handle, it’s competition.
  2. They’ve been producing anime for over 20 years, contracting the production to major anime studios. You can see a lot of them on youtube.
  3. In 2009 they founded their own political party called the Happiness Realization Party. They made a big push to get a candidate on the ballot in every single electoral district in the country. They spent billions of yen on ads and other media, and you couldn’t go anywhere without seeing their political posters showing the party leader (coincidentally the wife of the founder of the religion) Kyoko Ookawa. Despite this huge push, the party failed to win a single seat in the entire nation.
  4. The founder dumped her ass in 2011 and married the much younger and prettier Shio Ookawa. They also got a younger and prettier Ryoko Shaku to be the new face of the party. They repeated their political push in the 2012 general election, again spending billions of yen in advertising, with the exact same results: zero seats won.

Since then they’ve been able to get a few members elected in local prefectural assemblies, but so far still haven’t won a single seat in the upper or lower houses of the Diet.

7 Likes

happy science seems like a thing happy mutants might like.

BTW Happy Science Cult are the guys who killed a bunch of people on the Tokyo Subway with a Sarin gas attack.

So… True to form, republicans once again get nice and cozy in bed with FUCKING TERRORISTS.

Looks like I was thinking of some other Japanese syncretic fanatics

2 Likes
5 Likes

No, that was the Aum Shinrikyo (Divine Truth) cult, completely unrelated to Happy Science. In fact the founder of Happy Science was targeted by the Aum Shinrikyo cultists back in the 90s with nerve gas poisoning, but the attempt failed.

4 Likes

They are even making animes.

3 Likes