"The Mystery" of Tucker Carlson

13 Likes

Beschizza:
[J]ust last night he was on Fox News complaining about the desegregation of the U.S. military.

What’s so diabolical and infuriating about Carlson is: that’s not technically true. We don’t know that he’s referring to desegregation of the US military in 1947. All we know is: he was complaining about “diversity.” For example, he could be referring to affirmative action.

And I’m willing to bet, if asked point-blank, he’s smart enough that he’d never come down “for” racial segregation. (Although, female/LGBT integration are so relatively recent, it’s probably still “safe” for him to be “for” gender segregation and LGBT discrimination). And that’s the point. His dog whistle is all thats necessary to reach his dog audience. Most of his show is one long whistle, composed of loaded questions and pained eyebrow gestures.

4 Likes

Fox News is the enemy of the American people. I know that statement makes some people uncomfortable. But It is true.

13 Likes

5 Likes

Oh, without question: he’s on the “have not” side. I wish very much that I could say that I’ve never seen a “major news pundit” with less class than him. But considering the flood of candidates available, he’s just one of the strongest contenders for the title.

1 Like

shouldn’t the stripes be blue?

(kind of sad really. Can’t be creative when an audience expects you to act like an officeholder.)

2 Likes

See also:

3 Likes

Not sure if that picture makes me proud or regretful I took entomology as an elective in college.

2 Likes

I wonder if Tucker would be stunned into shocked disbelief if we told him Muslims can hold public office there are studies that prove there are concrete benefits to diversity.

10 Likes
4 Likes

Whereas Tucker Carlson would proclaim in fear that there would be “taco trucks on every corner”, good hearted decent people say “oooh tacos!”

16 Likes

Hungry people say…

5 Likes

I enjoyed the article at CJR but I have only tolerated Tucker, at best. Now he seems unbearable.For the last few years the mention of his name makes my skin crawl.

1 Like

Exactly, and his targeted audience does not care and they do not think of his questions as ‘loaded.’ They refer to them as simple questions that ‘liberals’ will not answer.

3 Likes

You never thought it would be relevant to political science, did you?

5 Likes

Tucker McNear Swanson Carlson is to journalism as Swanson TV dinners are to food.

3 Likes

According to New Yorker magazine:

A few years earlier, [Carlson] had given up smoking—cowed into submission, he once wrote, by “the dark forces of Health.” There is, alas, no substitute for alcohol, but for cigarettes there is nicotine gum, a product that Carlson buys, in bulk, from New Zealand, where it is sold in satisfactorily easy-to-open packaging.

Tucker Carlson buys his nicotine gum from New Zealand? Because it’s sold in satisfactorily easy-to-open packaging?

What about American nicotine gum? Is America going to let New Zealand win the convenience-packaging wars? When are American conservatives going to buy American nicotine gum?

4 Likes

I went to college with Tucker Carlson. In a school filled with about 70% privileged white kids he was the epitome of that milieu, I remember him joining one of the most uptight, rich white dude frats (they actually had a castle as their frat house) and always wearing khakis and white oxford shirts. That’s all I remember of him, but if I ever bring up his name one of my friends will not shut up about the time he ran into Tucker Carlson buying weed from our local pot dealer.

10 Likes

More than that, I think populists try to convince the poor that they are not poor, and, that the meager means people have (their labour) is under threat from anyone but their employer.

4 Likes

What is it with white supremacists and this specific outfit?

3 Likes