The New Roseanne

:wink:

I liked the original. I didn’t even really want to, wasn’t a fan of the premise and thought it was going to be another sitcom with cheap laughs and saccharine “very special” tropes, but the writing turned out to be pretty good and I was surprised at the real working class social issues it often tackled.

I may try an episode of the new one at some point. But frankly I only watch so much television and there’s nothing wrong with factoring in the creator’s politics when deciding what to prioritize. It’s perfectly legitimate for folks to take into consideration who they could be supporting with their consumer choices. Dismissing that as signalling is a little disdainful.

That said, we’re not trying to hijack your thread and I’m sure plenty would like to hear from those such as yourself who have seen the new one.

10 Likes

Why? It’s not like it’s particularly boing material. I never watched the original- just didn’t like the lead - there’s no reason for me to want to watch the reboot. Some shows interest me - some don’t.

And some folks I used to watch - I was put off of by what they did off screen. Like Woody Allen. Not sure why any of that should be tied to people who visit here.

3 Likes

I think something is blocking your vision of a shoulder-perched chip.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll take care of that.

8 Likes

I’d disagree about it not being bb material:

• Darlene, the geeky misfit kid
  • Darlene’s “gender-nonconforming” son
  • The, as Kimmo put it, Springsteen vibe — the show’s fundamental respect for working-class low-income people
  • Jacky, the very liberal sister
5 Likes

The problem here may be the setting, in flyover country?

also willing to wager there are no Burning Man jokes.

I’m pretty sure the gender non conforming kid was put in to try and deflect from the huge amounts of transphobia spewed by the lead in real life.

I personally expect it to veer into the whole - see - you don’t have to transition line of delegitimizing people who do. That’s tactics - not progressive politics. But even if it doesn’t- it can’t excuse the former for me personally. It’s certainly not the working class setting- that’s what I grew up in.

4 Likes

Well, it’s in a Chicago suburb. And a Burning Man joke wouldn’t at all be out of place — again, there’s a grandson who wears skirts and such.

1 Like

But that’s just signaling :wink:

I’m planning to give it a watch. I try real hard to keep at least 6 inches between my fictions and my reality.

1 Like

Semiotics, yo. :wink:

1 Like

Is Dan in the NRA now? :joy:

No, still just going into the garage to drink beer when he’s fuming. :slight_smile:

Undead perhaps…

1 Like

A side effect of the super soldier serum.

5 Likes

Last night after dinner I stumbled across the shooting for the new Magnum PI (almost literally; the Ferrari Robin 2 stalled out in front of me while crossing the sidewalk I was walking along). Most of these reboots just seem silly to me, though like the 5-0 reboot Magnum will at least be good for my local economy.

I’m pretty sure some of Rosanne Barr’s neighbors in Hilo are happy to see her off the island

3 Likes

Just FYI, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has weighted in on the show:

He thinks it’s anti-Trump in disguise. Or it could be sarcasm.

I will note that the person who brought this back together wasn’t Roseanne Barr herself, but Sarah Gilbert, for whatever that’s worth.

3 Likes

I remember really enjoying the original, mostly because John Goodman was such a good actor. I think I mostly watched it for him.

The new version… I just dunno, there’s something about it that just grates on me, hard to put my finger on what that might be…

5 Likes

Why do people do shoots like that? Do they really think it’s funny or edgy?

3 Likes

You know she did that shoot for a Jewish magazine called, heh, Heeb, right?

3 Likes