The worst knife reviewed

“Every part of this knife is screaming ‘I have made poor life decisions’”

lolz

4 Likes

I own this knife, myself! I agree, very poorly designed, not well made, 10 different style screws, the blade sits very loosly in the scales, I removed the pocket clip. But to be a pocket knife, the larger than average sawteeth come in handy to score limbs and branches for fire kindling the blade design would do better as a boot or pocket-sized fixed blade. I’m no pro at reviewing but for all the negatives, there are a couple of fine positives as I’ve listed here. Otherwise very fine review.

2 Likes

I’ve got a cheap gerber where that happens. Seems to be caused by how far the knife juts out of the pocket and if there’s anything up there to snag on.

I carry an opinel now. Weighs nothing, takes up little space in a pocket. Don’t have much need of a pocket clip unless I’m fishing or camping.

You know they make folding pocket saws that are actually meant for that right? I know enough about saws to tell that isn’t a good one.

Are these people you describe the same folks who neatly arrange the contents of their pockets for EDC fetish photos? Or are they the people in this thread who have already commented that they routinely lose knives? I have no problem with whatever people want to collect or invest their time/energy/money in. I’m just fascinated with collecting something that seems useful but, for a lot of people, isn’t actually that vital at all.

2 Likes

Again that could apply to anything.

I know some one who probably owns 5-10 k worth of wigs. And they’re for cosplays so they’re wacky impractical wigs.

I know a guy who regularly spents close to a grand on hand planes. Does he need them to make carefully inlaid wooden boxes? Are the results any better than if he used machines or more basic tools? Is it vital that he make carefully inlaid wooden boxes at all? No.

I also know a guy who won’t spend less than $300 on shoes.

All of this is subtly rediculous, and practically speaking unneccisary.

That’s a slightly different group of nuts. If you look closely you’ll also notice they have very expensive watches and $400 notebooks. And special pants to fit all that shit in.

There’s definitely some fascinating weird among your various sorts of knife people. But “oh man people collect things they don’t technically need” isn’t really it.

3 Likes

It’s like most every other hobby / fetishized collectible, whether it’s knives or pens or watches or whatever: you can spend X amount for something that will accomplish what you want it to accomplish reasonably well, you can spend x/2 for something junky that will not last or work very well, and you can spend 10x or 100x for something that will work really well and also last and be pretty.

And just like everything else, half the fun is in justifying to yourself why you needed another Benchmade when a CRKT would have been perfectly fine, or an Omega just in case you need to tell time after being ejected from a submarine.

4 Likes

Google “php is fractally bad” for a great use of that idiom.

I prefer Brietling. As I suspect I may be spontaneously asked to pilot an airplane.

4 Likes

Agreed!!!

I use a cheap knife from china for that because the blade gets all gummy from the glue on the packing tape and it’s hard to remove

1 Like

They aren’t anything special. I think they are a decent knife for the money. Solid, but not bespoke or anything. But also something you won’t cry to hard when you lose.

Go get yourself one of those two grit stones and get to work. Ask @Medievalist for sharpening tips. Beware, I may have just started a sharpening discussion…

2 Likes

I bought a Leatherman two-pack (Rebar and Micra) years ago, and hardly a day goes by that I don’t use one or the other. The scissors on the Micra seems to get the most use, though.

I actually own this knife.

One of the movers, who looked like a knock-off Henry Rollins on red-bull bender, had left it behind.

It opens pretty smoothly, and for basic “I need to cut a tag or open a clamshell plastic container” it works just fine.

The finish is crap, but I don’t really care.
Mine doesn’t have some of the fit problems his does, (e.g. no duct tape, not quite as asymmetrical)

The serrations ARE stupid though.

1 Like

I’ve carried one of these Kershaw Scallions for the last 15 years.

It’s small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket (too comfortably maybe, I’ve lost two of them to the TSA) and really well made. They retail between $45 and $60 depending on materials and finish, so you won’t want to replace it often.

@Mister44 @Grey_Devil I have a set of DMT sharpening plates and a couple two-sided water stones I use for chisels and draw knives, but I find that for pocket knives, a couple of round hones are indispensable. If you’re not prying open paint cans or removing nails with your pocket knife, a few controlled passes should get you back to sharp enough for almost everything.

Doesn’t stop me lusting after one of those Tormek sharpening systems though…

edited for spelling

6 Likes

Learn how to do it yourself! I’ve got an old axe head I found in the shed, had no edge at all. I modified it into a bearded form, worked on it with a series of files, diamond stones and leather strops with honing compound and I can shave hairs off my arm with it; I was using it today to shape a piece of yew to fix a modified garden fork handle. For quick and easy, get a Lanskey sharpening kit, like this one, works a treat - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lansky-Sharpeners-4-Rod-Deluxe-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW0E?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000B8FW0E

2 Likes

I just discovered this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mallninjashit/

My sister’s reaction when i sent her the link:

“Oh my god this is all the stuff I like to buy”.

I think she’s currently trying to figure out where to buy these:

155 votes and 12 comments so far on Reddit

10 Likes

If the item in question is going to only be used for one job ever, or the next job of that type is so far down the line as to be invisible, I have no problems buying a POS that will be ruined after I use it for its intended purpose. Recently I bought a cheap bit for driving square hole screws. It was rounded off after one box of said screws and worthless, but the job was done and I could discard it with impunity.

Dennis_el_Campesino, I believe I found one of your little Gerber lockblades in a Foodland parking lot. Still in my fanny pack for GPs.

1 Like

I carry a Leatherman most days, and yeah: it’s the scissors that I find REALLY useful. This particular model also has a horrifying claw specifically designed for breaking into clamshell packaging - that’s pretty handy too; much better than scissors, and waaaay safer than stabbing about the place with a knife.

@carterdavis
Most collectors and collections I ‘get’, even if it’s not the kind of thing that I would particularly like to have more than one of. And I’ve given serious thought to spending several hundred dollars on a bespoke fidget spinner or a one-off hand made spinning top. The items are generally pseudo useful or nicely made, or fun, or cute, and a collection of knives happily fits into pseudo-useful and nicely-made. But the one group of collectors whom I really do not get is medal collectors. Those cats are just odd.

2 Likes

I have the BEST knife.

It comes free from the vasectomy clinic. :smiley:

17 Likes

I picked up that Walmart clip/folder in the clearance aisle for $4.87, so naturally I’ve had it for three years… Bonus points for it having no serrations or “tanto” point. I know all the cool kids love them, but I hate them. It makes the knife hard to sharpen. (although I suspect the heat treatment on the blade steel would make it tough to sharpen well anyway)

I’ve eyeballed the Opinels, but can’t force myself to buy one. I love my Mora when I’m camping or fishing though!