This bizarre anti-masturbation video can't be real, but it is

In college in the 60s I read a lot of morality propaganda from the 1910s and 1920s…e.g. J. Harvey Kellogg and his crowd. It’s fascinating how much of what the guys say in this video is virtually identical to that stuff. They even use the once favored term, “self abuse.” Suggestions that having a pillow, or waking with the blanket between one’s legs, could be the path to sin and mental debilitation also appear in the Kellogg handbook. The old timers also suggested getting out of bed immediately upon waking to short-circuit the development of evil thoughts. The big difference here is that the presenters use words like “genitals” and “erection” and “orgasm,” (pronounced I might add with a certain relish, suggesting the guys may benefit from a cold shower). In Kellogg’s day propagandists were reluctant to be that explicit.

It’s amazing the degree to which early 20th century popular sexology was obsessed with masturbation, specifically male masturbation. In the books I read authors devoted far more space to masturbation than to sex out of wedlock or even (gasp!) homosexual activity. They seemed certain that every day carloads of American boys were being stunted and made stupid by The Secret Vice.

6 Likes

Now I know that two guys standing next to each other holding little shopping bags is an indication of homosexuality. How could I have missed this.

8 Likes

Any relation to Robert Crumb?

1 Like

I still don’t get why they call it that.

I didn’t know “abuse” could feel this good.

5 Likes

Say what you will, but JWs are my kind of fundie nutcases…the kind that don’t vote.

15 Likes

I went to middle school with a kid who claimed to have penetrated his cat. As god is my witness, his last name was Dare.

3 Likes

Or fight wars.

9 Likes

Are they an abusive cult?

Wasn’t Prince a Jehovah Witness?

I really don’t know much about them.

2 Likes

He dared to hare mon frere! :rabbit:

1 Like

For the god fearing people, please consider this. God made Bononobo chimps, which smarter smaller and a whole lot freakier than regular chimps. That was a test run before he made us, even smarter and freakier and less hair ( kinky! ). Any member of our species is capable of pleasing any other member in a multitude of ways, hands, mouth, genitals, anal ( males of our species can orgasm from anal penetration! Interesting design there god :wink: ). It’s not a coincidence, it’s his design ( if you believe in such things as creation ) or just the result of some freaky good time evolution. ( he also made slugs with penises that came out of their heads, plants and fish that change gender, and numerous other funky things ) If you picture God as a stodgy old man with white hair frowning when you bust a nut on your tummy you got it wrong. God looks more like the dude below, and he want you to cum a lot, with whoever you love ( yourself included). Amen.

8 Likes

This dolphin would like to tell Fappy where to stick it.

4 Likes

Also: who remembers this classic anti-masturbation video, also brought to us by the Jehovahs Witnesses? (Not the soundtracking, obviously, bc pretty sure the JWs don’t listen to R.Kelly.) (Pretty sure no-one else should be listening to R.Kelly either, but I digress.)

3 Likes

“Poets are both clean and warm
and most are far above the norm.
Whether here or on the roam,
have a Poet in every home!”

3 Likes

Oh no, not the 'provocative pillowcases’1) crap again!

1) Good band name, though.

4 Likes

Have you seen the kind of pillowcase you can get from Japan?

9 Likes

I know a couple of JW’s, and they seem largely only abusive to their own members (or your sleep if you happen to be on someone’s saturday conversion route).

2 Likes

Would anybody know why religious people, especially in the USA, have an obsession about masturbation? Is that a feature of American culture, a feature of religions based on the Bible or a feature shared by all humanity? For example, what with other cultures past or present (e.g. China, India, pre-columbian civilizations, etc…)?

2 Likes

Yes. But it’s still not “asking for it”.

3 Likes

16%20PM%5B1%5D

5 Likes

I am Jack’s total loss of surprise.

Hadn’t heard the term self-rape yet, though.

2 Likes