This instructional video from 1979 will teach you how to open a door

Originally published at: This instructional video from 1979 will teach you how to open a door | Boing Boing

4 Likes

What did they do prior to 1979, I need to know…

18 Likes

Instructional video, or pythonesque satire?

13 Likes

Bump into doors like amateurs, and say “Perkele” a lot, I imagine.

15 Likes

While you might think it is impossible to mess-up a video on how to open a door - They still managed to do it. There were no instructions about knocking on said door. What if that is your parents door and they are doing the nasty. Following those instructions, one might wind up scared for life with years and years of therapy while never being able to look at popsicles quite the same again. (umm just a random example).

11 Likes

The owner of the sliding door shown in this YouTube video could have used such an instructional video.

2 Likes

My understanding of the video vastly improved after I turned on the English subtitles. But unfortunately there was no demonstration of how to use a round North American door knob so I’m currently unable to open my bathroom door.

11 Likes

And here I’ve just been winging it all this time…

But wait, my doors have knobs not handles, so does this still apply?

5 Likes

Obligs:

22 Likes

GIF by Achievement Hunter

4 Likes

I’ve watched enough noir films to know you never ever turn your back when walking through a door.

6 Likes

I was alive then. Mostly you just waited and hoped someone from the other side would open the door for you.

8 Likes

That’s a hell of a sill on that door. If I had a door that silly, I’d be tripping over it approximately 100% of the time.

5 Likes

Yeah with all that focus on weight distribution I was expecting a pack of ninjas on the other side of the door, or whatever people feared before antifa.

4 Likes

15 Likes

First thoughts: Ok, it’s a comedy bit.
Second thoughts: Wow, he opened that door so elegantly… [starts taking notes]
Third thoughts: Dammit, where’s the follow-up about opening the door from the other side?

Yes. From this, apparently:

Depends if you’re right-handed or not.

5 Likes

Doors and Corners, man. Doors and Corners.

4 Likes

Prior to 1979 most people just entered buildings like the Kool-Aid man.

14 Likes

penny marshall animated gif GIF by TV Land Classic

6 Likes

Cringe No GIF

5 Likes