This Is Fine

Ah right, that’s the word I forgot, thanks.

9 Likes

It is difficult to understate how downright evil the big book publishers are. If you think the RIAA and MPA are bad (and, they are), the book publishers take it to new super villain, mustache-twirling levels. George Washington University libraries have put out an alert to students and faculty that Wiley, one of the largest textbook publishers, has now removed 1,379 textbook titles that the library can lend out. They won’t even let the library purchase a license to lend out the ebooks. They will only let students buy the books.

18 Likes

WOW. Did NOT expect the official GW library page to editorialize like this:

This situation highlights how the behavior of large commercial publishers poses a serious obstacle to textbook affordability. In this case, Wiley seems to have targeted for removal those titles in a shared subscription package that received high usage. By withdrawing those electronic editions from the academic library market altogether, Wiley has effectively ensured that, when those titles are selected as course textbooks, students will bear the financial burden, and that libraries cannot adequately provide for the needs of students and faculty by providing shared electronic access.

As a former regular user of the GW Library, this one hits home.

11 Likes

Paley Center No GIF by The Paley Center for Media

10 Likes

Sure-Jan

Narrator: “Somebody else will.”

20 Likes

I guess it’s back to the old way of one student buying the book with shared resources and all the classmates get to share it with them. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

It’s truly amazing how many textbooks can be found online these days.

9 Likes

"Students, it has come to my attention that [url] has free copy of the textbook you no longer have access to. While it is available for free at [url], please be aware that the copy at [url] is a pirated copy. Please do not access [url], share the link to [url], or download the book for free from [url]. "

13 Likes
8 Likes

8 Likes
12 Likes

In 2019, a mere three years ago, public health researchers described the “face” of vaccine hesitancy as middle- and upper-class women of a very specific cultural milieu.

“The rebel forces in America’s latest culture war — the so-called anti-vaxxers — are often described as middle- and upper-class women who breast-feed their children, shop at Whole Foods, endlessly scour the web for vaccine-related conversation, and believe that their thinking supersedes that of their doctors,” wrote Alfred Lubrano in the Philadelphia Inquirer, reporting on then-recent studies from government public health agencies.

How things have changed. Nowadays, the face of vaccine hesitancy is most apt to be a Christian, according to more recent research and polling. The COVID-19 pandemic appears to have shifted cultural opinions on vaccines.

In April 2021, researchers surveyed 2,135 vaccinated registered voters in South Dakota, presenting them with identical messages about COVID guidelines from either a political, religious, or medical leader. Messaging from a religious leader was more effective than the other two, leading the authors to suggest public health professionals “might find it beneficial to coordinate their efforts with leaders in faith communities.”

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Doctors just spend too much time in commie indoctrination camps, or schools (if you wanna be a lib about it), to be trusted. /s

21 Likes

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

Yeah, but this is true. I see it every damn day. It is exhausting. I have even started seeing, when I bring up the NY polio issue regarding unvaccinated kids, “yes, but those are Jews.” It’s all I can do to not grab them by the throat and shriek “That is not the point!”

22 Likes

Give Up GIF by TLC Europe

Being a doctor has to be exhausting at times.

15 Likes

Oh my god… Most of us are at the “How much longer can I keep doing this?” stage of exhaustion. There is no end to it, there is no help coming. No cavalry coming over the hill. Just keep going until we drop. But we keep our boots on, so there is that.

23 Likes

Horror Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

13 Likes

I’m sure it’s nothing…

(The press is jumping all in with unverified intel and fear headers.)

15 Likes

Kristen Wiig Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes

Can confirm. I travel all across the US working with doctors and nurses. They are all stressed, worn out, frayed. And they just keep going.

Crocs makes boots? :wink:

Oh, they do.

17 Likes

The ghost of Gene Roddenberry is pissed he didn’t have access to these “boots” for ST:TOS.

7 Likes