This Is Fine

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds and Direct Action are not words I would normally expect to see in the same sentence.

17 Likes

Not on my 2022 bingo card.

Neither was this:

ā€¦ ā€œcreativityā€ is the word the box cut off the headline.

8 Likes
11 Likes

Is a new generation of liberals about to find out how cops actually treat people who do peaceful civil disobedience :grimacing:

5 Likes

This really sucks. There is, however, some hope.

Pink salmon are every-other-year spawners. This creek has two distinct populations, essentially separate populations of even-year pinks and odd-year pinks. If there are better conditions next year, only the even-year pinks will be affected. And thereā€™s some percentage of cross-over, so in 2024, some of the 2025 odd-year fish will return early and replenish that population.

I would guess the chum salmon will recover faster. Chum are still early in their return. If we get some rain, there is still a chance for this yearā€™s chum salmon to get at least some viable spawning in. Iā€™ve seen fresh chum enter rivers after Thanksgiving (US).

The only nit I would really pick with that article is the weight it gives to commercial, especially illegal, fishing. While climate change is a huge factor, illegal commercial fishing in the North Pacific is massive. Up to 90% of US lower 48 Pacific salmon are caught in Alaskan/Canadian/International waters. Only 10% of adult salmon and steelhead make it back to Washington, Oregon, and California.

Frankly, if it were up to me, Iā€™d put an aircraft carrier group or two in the North Pacific and start enforcing the law to protect salmon up there. Get caught illegally fishing, and we seize your ship. Try to run and we sink you. It (obviously) really pisses me off. Because it isnā€™t just about fish. Whole ecosystems that depend upon salmon, including resident orcas, are threatened.

20 Likes

Everything is connected to everything else: nature = whole systems. Nothing in nature is modular. Too many interdependencies, right down to the microbial levels that make life possible (including gut biota, soil mycorrhizae, etc.)

Thanks for your evaluation here.

The natural resources of our planet have been plundered beyond description, and our oceans have been the scenes of the worst human greed and debasement, in part because most humans stay on land so we canā€™t monitor what happens on and below seawater.

Illegal hunting and fishing etc. is poaching.
How people relentlessly get away with such things will be the death of all of us.

I hear you.
I am with you on this.

I surmised something like this:

It would make evolutionary sense.
Thereā€™s a comparable method some Texas wildflower use, where maybe half of them germinate in the next growing year, while the remainder wait until year after that to sprout.

ETA: grammar dangit

13 Likes

Exactly.

Many salmon populations have multiple redundancies.

While we can trace individual salmon to their natal streams genetically, we also know they wander. A small percentage of fish destined for one watershed decide to go elsewhere. The result is that, if we can keep enough fish returning from the ocean, even total kills in certain rivers will eventually recover from fish wandering in from neighboring watersheds.

Itā€™s key we get enough fish returning from the ocean.

15 Likes
12 Likes

:scream:

Actually I pity those rats, TBH.

14 Likes
14 Likes

Mayor Will Announce Plan to Ban Unsanctioned Camping Across Portland and Build 500-Capacity Homeless ā€œCampusesā€

11 Likes
11 Likes

Nice view, though.

8 Likes
10 Likes

I donā€™t want to think about what or who they want to bring back from the dead.

10 Likes

Are You Kidding Me Alyssa Edwards GIF by NETFLIX

7 Likes

The nightmares practically write themselvesā€¦

8 Likes

Oh Dog, theyā€™re going to revive Ronny.

8 Likes

Iā€™m more worried about the second coming of Pinochet.

ETA:

Maybe they watched that last Star Wars film with the bit about cloning Palpetine and Henry Kissinger thought ā€œThatā€™s a good ideaā€

10 Likes

Also, they did a version in Ukrainian for the warā€¦

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes