This Is Fine

Yep. And when those systems fail to do their job, even the locals will join in, or risk ruin.
Locally, the people who make their living harvesting seafood fought against changes to the regulations about 50 years ago that they knew would decimate (or at least degrade) the local fisheries. But when regulators allowed for trawling and such, even the ones who’d fought against it were like, “well, if that’s the way it is now, I have to also do that in order to stay in business.” Even though they went on the record acknowledging this would lead to the destruction of the overall ecosystem. :cry:

13 Likes
7 Likes

About 15 years ago a famous neuroscientist at Brandeis that studies crabs, started looking at how water temperature effected them. There has been some good work in that time. For some species of crabs, a change of a few degrees (which has already happened many places) is enough to produce complete failure of the basic neural rhythm generator that controls chewing and swallowing. Nobody has looked at snow crabs, specifically, but I’d sure have a strong hypothesis about them.

Conversely, a friend looked at an invasive species that has completely dominated European shores the past 2 years, displacing many other species that have been there longer than people. The most striking thing, was that it was the most temperature robust crab that has been studied. We are remaking the world in a lot of ways, and its unlikely to shake out in our favor

18 Likes

So it would seem.

The increasing irrelevancy of our collective human future is the most freeing, terrifying long-term legacy I can think of, barring [human-instigated] global nuclear war.

6 Likes

(X post)

10 Likes
14 Likes

It might seem trivial, and dog knows I have far worse things to complain about in my life, but it really pissed me off this morning to walk into the co-op to buy horse feed and have to listen to not just shitty country music (that’s a given, it’s the farmers co-op), but shitty country CHRISTMAS MUSIC!

In the middle of OCTOBER!

THERE SHOULD BE A LAW

24 Likes

There’s a pop/soft rock radio station in Chicago (not a Christian Nationalist stronghold!) that starts the Christmas – very specifically NOT holiday – music the day after Halloween.

Meanwhile, representing their religion by, oh, you know, following Christ’s teachings? Yeah, no. But forcing Christmas on everyone for months every year is sacrosanct.

13 Likes

93.9, W-L-I-Teeeeeeee!

13 Likes

14 Likes

see star wars GIF by Hyper RPG

7 Likes

jack griffo laughing GIF by Nickelodeon

3 Likes

Oh this one… This one’s the worst. Please, show us some mercy when posting content so vile!

5 Likes

Maybe we should have a thread that is the antithesis of Da Musicz, and call it Crap Musicz? All the music that’s terrible, but you can’t help but listen to it at least once.

6 Likes

It’s evil, disgusting, and rather unpleasant. I love the idea.

4 Likes

Sick Vomit GIF by Originals

4 Likes

If you start it, we will post.

6 Likes

21 Likes

Texas: the What-the-Fuckistan of the U.S.
For today, at least. (Sorry Florida!)

Attention fellow Texans: early voting has already started. starts 24 October. (thanks @Kii for the correction)

Git 'er done and remember, your pastor or preacher doesn’t know what you do in that voting booth.

15 Likes

I have noticed a trend in the U.S. where retailers deploy xmas music earlier and earlier every year. My takeaway is that (1) they are desperate to heave on our emotional levers to make sales; (2) they may be expecting the world to end before xmas; (3) they are out of actual [effective, novel] ideas to market what they are selling; (4) their subtext is that the xmas holiday marking the birth of their savior should be regarded as The Only Event That Matters and hard right evangelicals have emboldened them.

I could be wrong.

15 Likes