This Is Fine

Kurt Jooss 1932 ballet The Green Table. You can pretty much figure out who the characters represent (link fixed):

18 Likes

Wait, when did they eliminate the Navigator and Flight Engineer?

8 Likes

Maybe then they can buy gas to fly…

17 Likes

17 Likes
18 Likes

“But there was nothing we could have done to prevent or reduce these fires!”

7 Likes
12 Likes

Last Summer, local power company bosses & crew supervisors spent an afternoon meandering all through our neighborhood’s streets and alleys. Doubtless they were taking in the architecture as well as inspecting & discussing the massive old trees what needed removal or pruning away from wires, both on city and private property.

Being a Detroiter, I thought, “That’s nice, but let’s see if they send any tree-trimming crews.”

Our last neighborhood blackout happened during our last big thunderstorm in November. A vast, long-dead tree in the alley at the NE end of our block lost almost half its mass. It was struck by lightning, but the 50+ MPH (80+ KPH) winds also did it no good, and the tree was violently split. The section that broke off landed right on the wires. The nearest utility pole had been leaning for years, but then it looked ready to topple, and take along its mates.

We heard it all. We saw the daylight-bright flash through windows on the N side of the house. The lights etc went out even before the end of the gigantic BOOM of the lightning bolt’s hitting the tree, and the tree and transformer’s explosions.

The power was out for less than 12 hours, and workers were in our alley for 3-4 days. They replaced the leaning utility pole. They pruned TF outta all the trees along the alley, and cut down, butchered, and hauled away the poor dead tree. The crows and hawks, and some songbirds miss it for perching, I miss looking at it - it had wonderful shape/s, but it was dangerous. Had events been different, it coulda easily fucked up four houses, three garages, probably six fences…

All because of asinine power company high mucky mucks, who decided writing a report was more important than having a coupla days spent taking care of the dangerous trees/limbs they ahem saw for themselves, and in an historic neighborhood fulla irreplaceable Victorian/Edwardian architecture, yet!

18 Likes

Police forces continue to cozy up to far-right protestors

As anti-drag protests grow increasingly common—and violent—the responses of some police departments are raising questions about who law enforcement really protects

18 Likes

… that’s “journalism”—eternally just asking questions they can never quite answer :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

Questions are being raised, but we’re sure as hell not about to try finding answers for them.

16 Likes

…and if we did know, we sure as shit wouldn’t tell you!

9 Likes
12 Likes
16 Likes

frustrated the muppets GIF

21 Likes

Damn, man…

15 Likes

Heavy Metal is good right doc?

10 Likes

but can I put off worrying about it until next month

11 Likes

Fuck. Thank you so much for sharing this. I like this kind and had been giving my 6 year old a little bar in her lunch several times this week. I am grateful you shared and relieved it was only 3 little bars total.

12 Likes