This Is Fine

1 Like

Yes.

Looks like I’m in for a treat.

2 Likes

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

How long is the drive? Can you drive instead? Maybe you should drive?

5 Likes

I’ve done that one… around 30 hours IIRC. Did it in shifts with another driver, but still a bad idea.

Just keep your seat belt on, you’ll be OK. :thinking: :+1:

3 Likes

DAMN.

With any luck, the entire fleet of these MAX 9s by Boeing are fully grounded and you get a different craft.

Seriously: please let us know you are ok when convenient, after your flight(s).

Not loving this timeline, no sirree.

6 Likes

Shucks.

5 Likes

I routinely drive Austin, Texas to Charlottesville, Virginia. And back. It’s better with a second driver for team driving, but honestly it ain’t that bad!

My partner and I were doing driving round trips from Austin to Burlington, Vermont for four years, multiple times per year.
Round trips.
It’s not a bad drive–it’s actually quite beautiful–and in the winter, just keep an eye on the weather.

I realize that long road trips are not everyone’s cup of tea. It helps if your job (if you are working) can have some “remote work on your laptop is fine” built in.

I’d bet plenty that there’s plenty of beauty between to see between Chicago and Las Vegas. Even in January. The biggest cost is time. You’re going to be buying fuel either way–for the aircraft or your car.

7 Likes

The shooting stars over Wyoming were spectacular, and I think I got Stockholm-Syndromed into liking Country and Western during the drive. It was August, though and there was nothing between Omaha and Chicago that I could see over the corn. (Over tired brain kept flashing back to Stephen King stories.)
Listen Stephen King GIF by Arrow Video

7 Likes

https://www.audible.com/pd/Anathem-Audiobook/B086WNG3RK

5 Likes

That’s quite a drive, but it doesn’t cross the Rockies in winter. 30 hours can become 80 with one weather front.

6 Likes

You Are Right Taika Waititi GIF by IMDb

I give up.
I did not think about crossing the continental divide. In winter.

Argh!

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

ETA:

Y’know… if ol’ NukeML drove the southern route there

… I mean, it’s not tooooooooooooo bad.

Sorry, I am still born to be wild. I admit I am impossible. And a sucker for an epic road trip.

6 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

Airline pilots have been complaining for months about Boeing's deathliner - Boing Boing

After fatal crash, Boeing reverses sales policy that locked out some safety features unless airlines paid for an upgrade - Boing Boing

How to save your ass if the Boeing 737 MAX you're flying decides to nosedive - Boing Boing

Trying to land on some runways causes the Boeing 737's control screens to go black - Boing Boing

"Piss poor design" and "supervised by monkeys": New documents show what Boeing employees really thought of 737 Max - Boing Boing

Senate report: Boeing and FAA "manipulated" 737 MAX re-approval tests - Boing Boing

AND LET’S NOT FORGET

Trump's former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley has joined Boeing's Board of Directors - Boing Boing

4 Likes

I quickly scanned the text of that last item and my brain saw that Haley had joined the BoD of BoingBoing and was like WUT?

1 Like

Me, too. One of my favorite trips involved flying into Denver in early September, where I was supposed to meet a friend and drive/fish our way to Steamboat Springs. My friend no-showed, so I drove through a blizzard over the first pass, stopped to fish and caught an epic brown trout on a tiny dry fly in the upper Colorado river, drove through another blizzard before getting to Steamboat and catching more nice trout before showing up to the dinner reception in waders and nobody cared because I had pictures of big trout to share.

So I get it. :heart:

7 Likes

:thinking: Maybe taking the train to AZ and then driving from there is an alternative if there’s no co-pilot to share the driving. I’ve done the train + rental car option multiple times (often to reach destinations where there’s no Amtrak service). It definitely makes it easier to relax and enjoy the view.

4 Likes
3 Likes

5 Likes

See, gLoBaL wArMiNg Is A mYtH!

4 Likes

… living in the “–1” zone, I can’t imagine “–60” :cold_face:

4 Likes

Theres a -2 right over my house now. Shading the whole neighborhood

5 Likes