This Is Fine

My British brother-in-law has been slowly radicalised over the last couple of years (his words, not mine). Mind you, as a result of this he joined the Lib Dems, but for him it was a big step. In the right direction, I’d say. And unthinkable ten years or so ago.

14 Likes

it is a very wierd happening. it has been going on since November and seems to be spreading north. what was first noted in the lower keys, around Big Pine, Sugarloaf and Cudjoe Keys, has now been seen around Marathon, Islamorada, Key Largo and even Biscayne Bay. no definite culprit. a certain dinoflagellate, akin to red tide organism is being looked at, as are variations of ciguatera, but there have been no reports of any people falling ill from consuming fish caught in the affected areas.
what is heartbreaking is seeing these fantastic creatures - the smalltooth sawfish - an endanged and extremely rare, ancient fish, in this distress then dying. 10-14 footers! and so many of them.
the leading theory is that last summer’s record shattering ocean temps that bleached 97% of the coral reef, has distressed the environment in such a way that these fish are compromised in their ability to fight off whatever this is.
Edot: typos

17 Likes

Paging Rich Hall: I was wondered in agfected meant agriculturally affected.

2 Likes

i would not go fishing with that guy! dude never shuts up!

10 Likes

Baby Reaction GIF

11 Likes
6 Likes

The podcast We’re Getting Medication takes like four fucking hours
because of a bunch of unbelievable bureaucratic bullshit. I your
host Neo Wong, who was asked by by pharmacists today
and I quote, have you been pregnant or have there
been pregnancies?

Podcast transcripts are fun at least…

7 Likes

Haiti hunger spreads: ‘I go to bed with an empty stomach’

11 Likes

Haiti has been shit on for so long by so much of the world. I worked there for a short time and it was very sad. Every time they seem to take a step forward, something steps on them. Ever since their revolution, they have been seen as “other,” and it just continues. It makes me very sad.

14 Likes
9 Likes

Navy fires SEAL commodore in latest high-profile dismissal

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4548108-navy-fires-seal-commodore/

Military Times earlier reported that Zaszewski was dismissed after being charged with a misdemeanor DWI on Jan. 19 and not reporting it to superiors until last week, citing Virginia court records and an unnamed defense official.

An NSW spokesperson would not confirm the reason as to Zaszewski’s firing, only that the decision to relieve him was made after “careful consideration of the facts and the imperative to uphold the high standards of Navy leadership.”

5 Likes
12 Likes

We need to build products to last, and make sure we can fix them when they break

I wonder what would motivate tech companies to stop bricking their customers’ older devices?

:thinking:

10 Likes

Only if it were more profitable to do so. The idea of corporations thinking past the next quarterly earnings report is futile.

12 Likes

What’s frustrating is that they absolutely used to do so, when unions were more widespread, and the US government could threaten them with action if they stepped over the line… and it worked, for everyone’s benefit, too! Our economy was the strongest when the US government taxed and regulated corporations… and of course, did all sorts of public private partnerships, too… but, still.

11 Likes

If you run software that you control, for which you have the source, then they can’t do that.

The solution lies in making that easy to do, which is something that is probably not profitable (certainly not a “10-bagger”). Perhaps we need to start treating O/S’s like we do the road system, as a public good.

I acknowledge that to be “hard” to get right. I just don’t see an alternative at this point. The worst case that the EFF has been banging on about since the 80’s has turned out to be far short of how bad things actually have become.

4 Likes

100%. And the most important of those were anti-trust regulations. We have a lot of regulations now, but the primary punishment is fines, and if a company has a monopoly on a large market, multi-billion$ fines are written off as the cost of doing business.

10 Likes

The body was discovered this week by city workers during a routine daily check of the reservoir. Why it was not noticed for 24 days, nor the surveillance footage reviewed, remains unclear. Evans said the body was below the surface, up against the inlet structure in the shadows of the north side of the reservoir.

Barf Reaction GIF by Black Rifle Coffee Company

ETA: Maybe this is the kind of “secure your infrastructure” thing the Biden admin was going on about? Not really cyber attack, but, come on, man…

13 Likes

9 Likes

Purposely adopting already abused, emotionally disturbed children, knowing they could get away with torturing them and the children would never be believed:

16 Likes