This leakproof, double walled water bottle really keeps stuff cold

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/27/this-leakproof-double-walled.html

This leakproof, double walled water bottle really keeps stuff cold

2 Likes

Hydroflask are the real deal. I scored my first when someone set theirs out on the curb because it was dented, but otherwise brand new. I accidentally dropped in once and the dent popped out. I got my second one when my wife decided she liked the first one more than I did. Worth every penny. If I put ice in it it will be ice-cold all day in very hot weather. Plus, they have replacement lids if you don’t like the flip up straw type or the baby bottle sucker type.

2 Likes

So, a thermos.

5 Likes

Even my vacuum sealed Thermoses can’t hold a candle to these. We go through lots of water and food storage containers and these are the tops, by far.

1 Like

So, a really good thermos.

9 Likes

Precisely.

2 Likes

I would say it is as good as my Stanley AND easier to open/use due to a lack of the tin cup, etc.

2 Likes

My half gallon Stanley has served me well for ~20 years now…
Except for soup, I use a 1.2 litre wide mouth Thermos for that.

Which reminds me, I wanted to make asparagus soup tonight.

I have a 60 some oz Stanley that mostly makes oatmeal for me.

1 Like

I’m thinking of getting the Stanley pocket flask, you know, for moral support…
What’s the word on that?

1 Like

Cory loves his. https://boingboing.net/2015/11/24/square-lightweight-plastic-fl.html

I carry a different flask but it has gone missing lately. Hmm.

1 Like

Ta!
I think steel flask in red it is.

1 Like

No…uh…this is like a perpetual motion machine, but without the motion.

2 Likes

I’m sure the $40+ dollar one that’s been linked is great, but Amazon has plenty of sub $20 versions of these things that are close enough to the same level of quality and efficiency to be negligible in my opinion. I bought this one a few years ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PKV5B26/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00
It’s currently unavailable, but serves as a good example of what’s out there.

These are genuinely good (I got mine after discovering by chance how great a friend’s was), but I’d highly recommend getting it from Hydroflask directly. Amazon is brimming with counterfeit versions that customers have found less than satisfactory (though that’s a whole different thing than Amstrad’s alternative linked above).

I really enjoy mine. It’s nice having icewater stay icewater for almost an entire day.

1 Like
1 Like

We have a couple of Hydro Flasks at home, along with a couple of the clones from Simple Modern and Fifty Fifty at ~ half the price. I can’t see enough of a difference in performance to warrant buying the HF.

Note that if you want to use one of these for coffee, you have to dedicate the cap for coffee only in future because no matter how hard you try (I’ve tried boiling in some pretty serious cleaning solutions) you will never eradicate the coffee funk.

2 Likes

The Hydroflasks really are stunningly better insulated than most of the competition, though I haven’t tried the specific clones listed above. My family has several of them. You can fill one with ice and water, spend a day working out in the hot sun with it, and if you forget to empty it and leave it out overnight, it will still have ice in it in the morning. Sturdy as hell too. They also have a variety of different kinds of caps you can substitute, with spouts or straws, etc.

1 Like

I’m sure Happy Mutants from other parts of the world are wondering at the emphasis on ice staying solid in drinks (personally, that’s not a selling point to me either), but considering the current temperatures in Europe, and the general trend in our downward slide into no-such-thing-as-Climate-Change, I have the feeling that a lot more people are going to recognize the benefit of one’s drink helping to cool one down while re-hydrating too.

3 Likes