This Lincoln Project ad congratulating "Comrade Trump" is all in Russian

Because they don’t have to? Also, because Lincoln Project is Republicans, and unassociated with any candidate, they can hit Trump and the rest of the GOP with relative impunity.

3 Likes

It is. You don’t need to perpetuate that kind of lazy clichés.

It’s telling that the add opens by providing cover to other GOP members. They are building a narrative that this was all a big trick and everything can go back to normal once this one guy is out of office.

1 Like

The Republicans spent generations promoting Cold War paranoia that the KGB was going after our most sacred institutions.

This ad is essentially saying “Hey Republicans, remember all that shit you warned us would happen if we let our guard down about the Soviet Union? Well your guy is selling out the country to a former KGB officer because Russia helped him win the election. How about showing a little backbone and doing something about it?”

16 Likes

Did you make this? It’s kinda great.

2 Likes

King Pest should receive the Order of Lenin for his service and also hopefully a tiny crown.

Except they do. It’s not enough to to let a group of Republicans, with their own reasons for getting rid of Trump that are at cross-purposes with our own, control the campaign against him. There are down-ticket races to think about. The Lincoln Project is interested in saving the bacon of the GOP. It’s very scary that Dems are content to leave them in the driver’s seat.

1 Like

The Democrats don’t need to convince Dem-leaning voters that Trump is bad. Those voters already know.

The Democrats’ main challenge for 2020 is getting people to show up in support of Biden and other down-ticket Democratic candidates. You don’t do that by attacking Trump (especially when someone else is doing that job for you already). You do that by running ads explaining why Dems deserve their votes. Different audience, different goals, different messaging.

6 Likes

Dems need to focus on getting the people who don’t usually vote to the polls, and Biden isn’t the official nom yet; letting Repubs do all the shit-slinging right now is wiser than wasting their own money on people they will never reach because of the D beside their names.

Many sides working to tear down 45 from multiple angles can have a positive effect.

11 Likes

0fc

5 Likes

I’m not saying don’t leverage the LP. Just saying that there has been a disturbing absence of any messaging at all from the Dems, allowing the LP to suck all the oxygen from the room and control the narrative. With Biden as our candidate, it’s not going to be enough to try to convince Dems that’s he’s worthy, since so many are already holding their nose. Anger is going to be as much a motivator in this election as enthusiasm for our candidate. That’s what’s sending ME to the polls, at any rate.

3 Likes

I’ve likened the current situation to this scene from The Rocketeer:

For those who haven’t seen the movie, that’s the moment when the Feds and the Mafia guys unexpectedly find themselves on the same side of a shoot-out with a bunch of Nazis.

I have major political differences with the people behind the Lincoln Project but as long as they are attacking the same guy I am I’m not going to get in their way. We don’t have to be friends to realize that Trump is an evil force that threatens us all.

17 Likes

+1 for the Rocketeer reference. One of my faves.

I agree, I don’t think we should get in the way of the LP. All I’m saying is that we need to get into the game ourselves as well, because in the end the interests of Republicans are not ours, even if they result in getting rid of Trump.

3 Likes

You ain’t just whistlin’ Dixie: many people are rightfully pissed off…

7 Likes

I just learned Disney is planning a long-awaited sequel that will put an African American woman pilot in the lead role. Which is nice, because if anyone has earned the right to punch some fucking Nazis lately it’s African American women.

13 Likes

That’d be a lovely twist - I hope they actually follow through!

2 Likes

I remember when Republicans used to spout the mantra “Better dead than red!” Now they’re all lined up wearing bright red hats, in slavish obedience to a president who not only fails to criticize Putin, ever, not even for putting cash bounties out for the death of US soldiers, he idolizes Putin and continues to praise while simultaneously condemning US politicians, institutions and government personnel.

I’m left to wonder what besides racism the GOP stands for.

4 Likes

If The Manchurian Candidate was released today the GOP would assume Frank Sinatra’s character was supposed to be the villain because he was trying to stop the Soviet Union from hijacking the Republican Presidential ticket.

9 Likes

For a clear understanding of why Americans hate/fear the Russians, there is this excellent documentary from 1966:

Nowadays I think the main fear is that Fearless Leader will strap us all into chairs and make us watch videos from Little Big. I can think of worse fates.

1 Like

It’s not even that, IMHO. I understand that Russia is a strategic adversary but that doesn’t mean I have to “hate and fear them.” This planet has a lot of countries and a limited amount of resources and not everyone is going to be best friends.

The real issue is that we have a President who is not only failing to push back against our strategic adversaries but actively enabling them as they work against American interests (including the sovereignty of our elections). Russians are working to further Russian interests. It’s not asking that much to expect the American President to defend American interests.

7 Likes