This robot crawls up your butt to examine your colon

hmm, i just turned 50, and apparently i have to start thinking about getting one. maybe if i can hold off just a few more years… :thinking:

2 Likes

TIL when someone is blowing smoke up your ass he’s actually giving you a colonoscopy.

2 Likes

Can’t decide if science or fetish.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I suspect the “spikes” aren’t real and are just an optical effect from refraction from the tube walls, and contact of the robot with the inner surface of the tube disrupting total internal reflection within the wall off the inner wall surface.

1 Like

I’m told it’s one of those “you get one of these when you’re 50” sort of thing, yeah. In my case I had an incredibly bad stomach infection that sent me to the hospital, and they decided to do a CT scan, and apparently the machine was on the fritz. The nurse literally said “There’s a black spot in your gut. It’s really bad. So either our CT scanner is still broken, or you have cancer. Not sure which. Better schedule a colonoscopy to find out.” That was a very tense month. Happily their machine was broken, not me.

8 Likes

Amen brother! Happy Friday to you then. Cheers.

4 Likes

wow, that’s quite a story. glad it was just their machine!

4 Likes

That’s…not very good service.

6 Likes

I’m told that casually telling patients they might have colon cancer, or maybe not, who knows! is not really the way nurses are supposed to handle a situation like that, yeah.

7 Likes

Butt selfies. Now that could be a thing.

1 Like

i hope i’d told them to move THEIR ass and check the machine first.

1 Like

I work in the medical field and I can assure everyone that this butt crawler-upper will never be FDA approved. End of story.

Why?

(padding because post must be 10 characters)

I just had my third colonoscopy about two months ago. The one day prep began as soon as I got home from work the day before my procedure. Second dose was at 2:00 in the morning. They do tell you to back off certain foods three days before the procedure, but I basically refrained from all food the day before because I really hated the choices for the last 24 hrs.

And these food restrictions have changed from the first time I had the procedure. I remember this same doctor telling me in 2003 that if I wanted a cocktail the night before, it had to be clear. This time it was a no-no. Seeds in 2003? Sure. This last time they said stop having then three days before.

1 Like

When I was 15, I had an attack of crippling stomach pain that saw me checked into hospital for tests. On day two of my stay, the nurse came asking for a stool sample. She left a large pan in the bathroom and told me that she’d be back later to take the sample for testing. I then proceeded to have the largest bowel movement in recorded human history … all into the pan. When she returned, she testily clarified that she had only needed a small sample and not a 9’ coiled serpent. I never did find out the result of the test. My stomach paid faded and I was discharged later that day. Oh, the naivety of youth.

4 Likes

There was a thread touching on this subject a while ago in which I also expressed surprise at the US experience being so at odds with mine. Mine was in Norway but was essentially the same as @Richard_Kirk’s minus the inflation. It was a bit uncomfortable going round the corners but nothing that required sedation.

You haven’t given us any story at all.

I had my first colonoscopy at 36. I’m at high risk for cancer due to a number of factors. During my first colonoscopy, I had several polyps removed and biopsied (which was painful & I remember even with the drugs). The “clean out” wasn’t bad compared to the symptoms that necessitated the colonoscopy - just drank a gallon of salty Gatorade and shit water for a day (during which I fasted). The 2-day prep diet is just so that the shitting isn’t too painful or gross (per my MD).

If a little robot could check out my colon, I’d be happy to do that as a first pass rather than go to the more invasive thing. I wonder if they could develop such a thing for women’s pelvic exams?

3 Likes

Seems reminiscent of that scene from Me, You, and Everyone We Know

4 Likes