This Staples customer broke the leg of a woman who told her to wear a mask

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/31/this-staples-customer-broke-th.html

14 Likes

Do wi have a gif for “Holy Fuck???!!!?”

17 Likes

By this point, these videos make me so sad. Infuriated, at the leaders encouraging this selfish shit, but now sad too.

Where is the love anymore, for others outside our little circles of intimacy?

39 Likes

Why the fuck is everyone else in the store just ignoring the woman lying on the ground with a broken leg? One person’s reaction to the violent confrontation is to step around the knocked-over barrier to continue making copies as the woman flails on the floor behind them.

86 Likes

Yeah, the lack of help from the other ~10 people you see in the video is a bit distressing.

55 Likes

Everyone just stands around instead of helping the poor lady.

31 Likes

Yeah, I was struck by the group paralysis of half a dozen people watching a clearly injured old woman flair around on the floor as her attacker strolls around. Yeesh.

37 Likes

Karen: I’ll do what I damned well please by any means necessary

Do I need to relate the tale of the woman, told to wear a mask at a McDonalds came back with family and guns and opened fire?

7 Likes

If Customer 1 used anything other than cash there… then she is toast.

12 Likes

yeah, so, are the cops also on the lookout for customers 3 through 9 as well as employees 1-10? I mean, what the ever-lovin f***??!! I would hope if this happened in my place of employment, I would tell someone to call the cops and then tail the perp.

To note: though shielded, it’s not completely clear that customer 2 IS masked. And customer 1 is “wearing” a mask, though it’s of the “only the nose knows” variety. And, not an excuse but no one should EVER try to make a point with a stranger by pointing the business end of a cane in their face…

Cue the R.E.M…

12 Likes

They ignored the virus because it was hitting blue states and black lives harder - and thought it would politically be advantageous to let it ‘thin the herd’ :

These are people who have been shovel fed rhetoric so long and so pervasive that they want a civil war:

The simple fact is that they no longer see us as humans or even fellow Americans - we have become the ‘other’ something they just want to hurt.

21 Likes

I don’t want there to be a civil war, but I can see one happening come election day.

Be safe people. Trump’s base is absolutely willing to kill their brother when trump implies they should.

20 Likes

This!! What is wrong with these people!?!?!

15 Likes

I guess the lesson we’re being taught by these videos of anti-maskers is “Don’t confront me about my lack of a mask or I will fuck you up.” Fuck them all gently with a hammer.

7 Likes

Possible by-stander effect?

3 Likes

Paralyzed by the shear horror of it?

ETA: I probably would be. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

I’m of the mind it’s actually MORE dangerous to your health to call someone out for not wearing a mask (or not wearing it properly) than it is to just recognize they are unmasked and give them a wide berth. More likely than not, that person is going to react aggressively.

Of course staying quiet is not always an option - if you work in the service industry and your employer or the state has mandated it, you don’t have much choice but to confront non-maskers. However, shaming people into wearing masks doesn’t seem to work and is only inflaming tensions. It just feeds into the culture war that conservatives desperately want to wage.

16 Likes

Something like that. Or expecting that someone else will take charge or the situation.

However, there is also research that suggests the bystander effect is bupkis (it feeds the narrative that urban areas are cold, emotionless places where people can’t empathize). One study found that the presence of more bystanders increased the chances a person would receive help. Maybe the strength of a by-stander effect is dependent on other conditions though? Anyway, still a disheartening thing to watch. I’d like to think I would step up if I found myself in that situation.

7 Likes

Look up Kitty Genovese, the inspiration for the Watchmen comics. And weep, because it’s real.

2 Likes
17 Likes