This winter's "Mary Poppins Returns" starring Emily Blunt just released official trailer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/17/this-winters-mary-poppins.html

6 Likes

Everything about this trailer makes me want to see the film opening weekend. Looks positively amazing.

12 Likes

Michael is a widow?

6 Likes

Lin-Manuel Miranda?* Angela Lansbury?! Dick van Dyke?!

[* with a bad Cockney accent]

19 Likes

I really did not think it looked that great. It looked like a '60s Disney musical, which is not that bad when you’re watching an actual Disney musical from the '60s, but in 2018 is almost Lovecraftian in its wrongness. It’s like the uncanny valley for cinema.

On the other hand, I got legitimately excited about Angela Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke making appearances. Like not interested most of the way through, then suddenly “HOLY SHIT, ANGELA LANSBURY! HOLY FNARKING SHLIT, DICK VAN FUCKING DYKE!” So certainly not a waste of time. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

… er

2 Likes

You’re not turning me off, here…

9 Likes

OK, OK, OKAY! I’ll watch it, dam it all to hell!

7 Likes

Nothing against this version, but I really would like to see a Mary Poppins the way P.L. Travers originally intended, of course with some altering of the racist parts.

9 Likes

I’m gonna watch this and I’m going to enjoy the hell out of it and I’m going to happily turn my brain off and just let the dance numbers wash over me AND NONE OF YOU SOUR FUCKERS ARE GONNA TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME.

20 Likes

Seeing Van Dyke will be awesome.

Of course, being Disney, they killed the Mom before the story even fucking starts.

14 Likes

Fringe%20Olivia%20absolutely

7 Likes

Not for me, even though I like the original and many of this cast. I wanted to like it, but no. You go, tell me what it’s like, then maybe.
Still using this GIF though…tumblr_nrjgeijN3B1tjr426o1_250

12 Likes

6 Likes

Oh, fine, if you buy the tickets.

6 Likes

8 Likes

“Widower” always seemed like a weird term for a man who lost his spouse anyway. It sounds like a person who turned somebody else into a widow.

9 Likes

Dang, Dick Van Dyke looks like he hasn’t aged a day since the original movie either.

14 Likes

Complete with all the Gurdjieffian mysticism she encoded into the novels. That would be awesome.

Kristen Bell does a pretty good job:

13 Likes

PL Travers was much more than Mary Poppins. She did a lot of work with deep mythology and wrote a fine book of essays about it, What the Bee Knows. Her children’s book about evacuating youngsters from the UK during the Blitz, I Go By Sea, I Go By Land, is also well worth reading. My notes on that book are at http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2017/05/i-go-by-sea-i-go-by-land.html

6 Likes