This winter's "Mary Poppins Returns" starring Emily Blunt just released official trailer

1. I was so braced for bland CGI that the use of cell animation actually made me teary-eyed.

2. Am I wrong for wishing it was set during the Blitz?

4 Likes

So, not a gritty reboot trying to milk the waning zombie fad then.

6 Likes

Do I recall a trailer for Mary Poppins as horror?

1 Like

Oh this is truly going to be awful. Even worse than Avengers Infinity War.

Travers wrote many Mary Poppins books…even a cook book for some reason.
This movie is based on her last 7 or so Mary Poppins books. Like the first movie was based on the first 3 books.
So, yeah, it’s a mismash of her themes, characters, etc. But it’s firmly based in the Poppins universe even the dolphins and the floating people are taken from the last books. Probably not going to see a dancing cow tho.
As for Mary Poppins…in the books there was mention of one of Mary’s aunts being around since the universe was formed. So there’s a bit of mystery about the entire Poppin’s universe. Neil Gaiman did a couple of essays about Poppins that are worth the read.

6 Likes

Ooh, that would make a good A Wrinkle in Time crossover!

5 Likes

yondu

13 Likes

This is amazing!

2 Likes

I would only watch this movie if it uses the sodium vapor process.

4 Likes

She could be like the next Jason.

3 Likes

The books were very dark. She spends a lot of time gaslighting the children.

3 Likes

More or less this, precisely.

2 Likes

samsies

3 Likes

Yes but will the remake open with a song about women’s suffrage?

1 Like

More likely to shoehorn in something something bank run financial crash of '08 (i.e. ‘no’.)

The first movie was set in 1910, so according to that timeline Mrs. Banks’ campaign finally succeeded in winning full voting rights for women in the UK about 7 years prior to this sequel.

2 Likes

Sort of a Bizarro World Mary Poppins then?

1 Like

https://www.lfg.co/tda/strip/240/

1 Like

This made my heart glad

1 Like

isaac%201

2 Likes