Thor: Ragnarok gets a bonkers teaser trailer

As someone who never got into Led Zepplin, it’s one of their songs I like best. I also enjoy Minimal Compact’s cover…

6 Likes

13 Likes

At first I thought this looked stupid. And then I realized it looked unstupid.

13 Likes

I quite like the title treatment at the end there, “Thor; Blood Dragon.”

6 Likes

Many also don’t know that Big Trouble in Little China was retooled from what was left of the production of the Buckaroo Banzai sequel.

7 Likes

It looks like it blends parts of

• the Thor “Ragnarok” storyline where all the gods do “die”… which means somehow in another dimension… I’ll be honest, I didn’t keep track of the comic back then well enough to know anything except “the Asgardians are gone from the Universe… but there’s still somehow a monthly”.
  • some stylistic elements (Thor’s gladiator garb) from the Mighty Hercules. (For a while there wasn’t a Thor monthly, and Hercules filled the void in the MU.)
  • Planet Hulk: after Hulk rampages through Las Vegas, a cabal of powerful heroes called the Illuminati (seriously, Tony, there’s a reason people think you’re a fascist) shot Hulk into space to a life-supporting but empty planet. They missed and hit a Barsoom-like world. Hulk was a gladiator. He loved it. Then became king. Then the ship blew up and killed everyone. The storyline as soon as he got back was called World War Hulk.

The two funny things I do know about the original Ragnarok story line:
1 ) the first Thor movie is partially based on the storyline after Ragnarok, when Thor’s hammer returns crashing to Earth and lands in Kansas. Which means that Thor 3 is based on a story that happened before the story on which Thor 1 is based.
2) because of poor planning, Loki was “dead” when editor Joe Quesada had planned to use his magic to “un-marry” Spider-Man and Mary Jane. So instead of the storyline they set up a year in advance, Mephisto (read: Satan) shows up and does it instead for no good reason.

Moive-wise, it’s as good a way as any to put GoG and the Avengers in the same ballpark. (Thanos has to get all of those Infinity gems together somehow…)

3 Likes

“He’s a friend from work”

??

1 Like

When the giant ship crashed in the middle of London I whispered jokingly to my husband “Where’s The Doctor when you need him?”

And then Eccleston stalked out of the ship and I went “Oh. Right. I forgot.”

12 Likes

The movie itself looks fun but the usage of fonts has got to go. Those effects sucked in the 70’s & early 80’s and they still suck now. They make me think of… https://youtu.be/9SASkqWyn40 The Phoenix or https://youtu.be/ksJTPdNNQB4 Battle Beyond the Stars. Are they trying to tell us the film will be so bad that its good?

“Work” = The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

8 Likes

yeah no one likes 80s fonts…

6 Likes

I personally like that Marvel is willing to acknowledge the inherent campiness of the subject matter by evoking an era in our pop culture when viking gods and swords and long hair were all the rage.

11 Likes

Would you think less of me if I admitted to owning Manowar’s first like, five albums?

There was a lot of coke going around in the 80s, and I played D&D.

8 Likes

10 Likes

First thought: a space Thor movie? That’s a perfect time to see Beta Ray Bill!

Second thought: you will never see Beta Ray Bill. :disappointed:

3 Likes

He is a member of the Avengers.

2 Likes

Generally I don’t really get superhero movies, but that looks like a lot of fun.

3 Likes

This never occurred to me before but imagine how much of a clerical headache it must have been to get Thor to fill out those I-9 and W-4 forms.

6 Likes

Era? You mean right now!!!

I still play D&D!

8 Likes

Maybe a W8Ben? He’s a foreign born contractor, right? Doesn’t he need an H1B to work in New York City?

Does he even have ID? A birth certificate? I mean, how old is Thor, actually?

3 Likes