Three folks casually drift down river on chunk of ice

Originally published at: Three folks casually drift down river on chunk of ice | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Next day’s headline “Three corpses found in river”.

5 Likes
5 Likes

From the article “Prior to the tragedy, “the bridge was considered to be absolutely safe,””, famous last words right there. :cold_face:

8 Likes
10 Likes

Project Habakkuk might have worked too, if at the last minute the captain hadn’t got cold feet.

8 Likes

Making something out of pykrete just for the heck of it is on my pointless things to do in retirement list. Probably not an aircraft carrier, though. This stuff intrigues me.

17 Likes

You may be familiar with this biography of Geoffrey Pyke, who was full of ideas as far out as pykrete. Strongly recommended.

6 Likes

James, Richard, and Jeremy filming a Christmas special?

4 Likes
17 Likes
9 Likes

Note that this is today’s xkcd. How does Randall Munroe provide apt cartoons for BoingBoing on a regular basis?

11 Likes

Oooh, I think I’ll give myself this for Christmas. Thanks for the tip!

7 Likes

IIRC, Hale envisioned a launch system pretty much like this:

6 Likes

Brits of a certain age will remember his first cousin, Magnus Pyke, nutritionist, chairman of the British Association for the Advancement of Science and marvellously eccentric science broadcaster and populariser. He famously appeared in the video for Thomas Dolby’s She Blinded Me With Science.

9 Likes

May I have your attention, please?
May I have your attention, please?
Will the real Randall Munroe please stand up?
I repeat
Will the real Randall Munroe please stand up?

5 Likes

Not just Brits. I remember seeing his show a few times in Canada. He was brilliant.

5 Likes

He was. I didn’t realise his TV work had ever made it beyond the UK; that’s good to know.

5 Likes

You all seem to see three people on a small ice floe.

I see three young skinny polar bears in disguise on their first infiltration mission.

Just me?

11 Likes

10 Likes