Tide pods are just the beginning! Behold the world of Forbidden Snacks

I imagine it’s what burgundy poison and emerald pain tastes like.

2 Likes

That’s a wacky comedy show I didn’t know I needed to see! Please god, let someone write this!

6 Likes

That was actually an election

5 Likes

I once bought what I thought was a box of delicious, individually wrapped Japanese candies.

They were bullion cubes.

13 Likes

Yep. Gotta admit that looks like tasty candy.

1 Like

There have been safety alerts for years about these products:

I think it’s more about a feeling of a lack of agency or progress in life. I think many in my generation, the “Columbine Generation”, we who got a taste of security theater early. Despite the freedom the internet confers, we simultaneosly had less agency than any other generation. Locker searches, metal detectors, “zero tolerance” (AKA if someone punches you, you are suspended for fighting) and suspensions forfinger guns - oh my.

So then we go out into the “real world” where ostensibly we’re going to have these “rights”? Nu-uh. BOOM. 9/11 - fuck your civil liberties. BOOM, recession, fuck your college degree. BOOM, Snowden dropped dox - fuck your rights even harder. BOOM, Obama isn’t really doing much but hey things are slowly getting better. BOOM Trump.

We’re a generation that’s been coddled and instructed and seriously penalized if we ever show creativity, we’ve had the amount of work (be it homework, amount of post-secondary, or working hours in the “real world”.)

So when we joke about eating a Tide pod, it’s a comment on a culture that simultaneously insists we follow a rigid set of rules, but refuses to reward us when we do.

It seems like the only way to win is not to play?

8 Likes

3 Likes

They are working towards Berty Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. Seems they’ve got a good start.

1 Like

My kid requested that game for her birthday party a couple years ago; the kids had fun with it, but some of those flavors, though…

1 Like

The Tide Pod Crisis is an ongoing problem and must be continually addressed. Personally, I have no idea why the manufactures of Tide Pods have not been hit with massive lawsuits. Gonna guess they just settle out of court.

Dry dog food isn’t unappetizing. Not great, but I survived on it for months in lieu of actual food. Had really compact stools too.

4 Likes

and CNN is very happy to hear how concerned you are.

MEANWHILE. On a slow news day the media decided to focus on stories about small children potentially or actually eating detergent pods. A story they’ve brought up a few times. Now there’s something there, but its not really any different than other household poisoning concerns. And I’m not really convinced these things are anymore associated with small kids poisoning themselves than anything else. Your household cleaners and dangerous stuff are supposed to be inaccessible to kids and pets for a reason.

The meme is the under 25 set mocking the moral outrage result. While sure there are people actually putting these things in their mouths for lulz. Most of what I’ve seen is teens doing shit like putting a bunch of detergent pods in a cereal bowl with milk, tossing a spoon in and posting it to social media with bad jokes about the “Tide Pod Challenge”

Its a bunch teens and young adults mocking a moral panic. And its become a routine moral panic in its own right. This is Jenkum and rainbow parties. Remember when jelly braclets were the DEVIL? I’m only surprised it hasn’t been connected to drugs or sex. It seems social media “challenges” are the new vector for “your teens are out of control!” stories.

Disregarding idiots who take it too far and harm them selves. I’m actually finding it fairly encouraging.

5 Likes

Like any food company, they keep mighty careful records of every attempt at everything. Apparently “vomit” was an abortive attempt at pepperoni pizza.

3 Likes

So, if I were to adopt “shithole” as an appropriate description of any country, you know I would first apply it to my native USA, right?

Yes? “Some of those flavors…” Please, do go on.

That’s deep and… so fucking right. :cry:

It’s arguably a quite sensible reaction to the relentless invasion of marketing flacks pursuing ‘brand engagement’ in every possible area.

Normally, any memetic activity that doesn’t involve being an atrocious person(and some that does) is at high risk of being co-opted into a cringeworthy “how do you do, fellow kids?” version and beaten to death in short order.

Eating Tide pods, by contrast, is (literally in this case) too toxic to be easily co-opted; and instead forces spokespeople for Proctor and Gamble to stand there like idiots imploring people not to eat laundry detergent; rather than capitalizing on the “organic social media engagement”, or some similarly ghastly concept, with one of their brands.

The fact that one has to go to these lengths to keep the marketing flacks at bay certainly isn’t a good sign; but deliberate noncooperation with them arguably is.

4 Likes

he looks delicious

2 Likes

all this talk makes me think of

tumblr_nbavlsLvd81r2detio3_1280

3 Likes

https://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/Nutria-Meat-Buy-Nutria-Meat-Nutria-Meat-recipes-s/221.htm

2 Likes