To find Hillary Clinton likable, we must learn to view women complexly

[quote=“Bobbo, post:21, topic:85424, full:true”]If you put Sarah Palin’s personality with Hillary’s politics, you have an electable president.[/quote]Not at all unlike Trump, I think Palin endured precisely because people couldn’t wait to hear what outrageously ridiculous thing she was going to say next.

6 Likes

I have considered plenty, believe me.

4 Likes

Part of the problem is that we need to find women “likeable” to view them as qualified for a role.

14 Likes

She endured because the media loved reporting on her. Same as Trump.

If they treated either with the respect that they deserve, neither would have been a national figure. They’ve been propping up Trump for decades.

1 Like

This illustrates the article well. I suspect that if she were a man, your content would be similar, but your tone would be lighter and more forgiving. She has to act like she cares more than a man does in order for you to believe that she cares. So my suspicion is that gender figures hugely… maybe not in your mistrust, but in the emotional affect accompanying your mistrust.

9 Likes

The whole notion of likeability is just plain stupid. We are voting to keep the most powerful and dangerous nation on a sensible path. Somewhere in this attempt is an effort to maintain equality, perhaps decency and a shot toward dignity to more people and we’re viewing it on its entertainment value. I dislike medicines that I need to maintain my health. For many valid reasons I can’t stand most cops but I accept that they are needed. I don’t like rain when sunshine would suit my mood better. But for this most important position of all, likeability is an issue? Americans aren’t alone. Rob Ford stayed in power because he apparently amused voters. Trump’s idol and role-model Putin is found likeable by millions as he stands dripping in the blood of innocents. Perhaps if an opposing candidate had redeeming qualities I would consider their stance. I can’t quite imagine a modern day republican ever being in such a position given what that party values but… But Really, I’m gonna vote for someone because of their likeability. No, I can’t see it.

3 Likes

Definitely some truth there. This anonymous account from Politics reporter, age 42, Washington D.C. was … hair-raising.

I’ve struggled with this the entire election season. Some days I’m really tortured by it, and some days it’s, like, laughable. But I’ve never really felt this way as an adult human. And it’s really—it’s messing with me.

I cannot stomach Hillary Clinton. I just can’t get with her. Maybe because I know too much. I find so much of her world hypocritical, reprehensible. I think the rest of the country sort of gives her a pass, like, “Oh, she’s always been attacked by Republicans, it’s not that big a deal, email shmemail!” But I’m like, “WHAT! This is a huge deal.”

And then I also obviously struggle with Donald Trump. The things I like about him are: I believe that sometimes you just have to blow shit up to build it again, and I think that a Trump presidency would do that. But just when I sort of get there with him, like, Ohhhhhhkayyyy, he says or does something and I’m like, “No, I can’t!” Like saying, “What do you have to lose?” to African-Americans. Like, WHAT? What?

I think I would just have to sort of give in to my chaos theory of Trump and just hope that he surrounds himself with the right people enough that it’s not a total disaster? Or Hillary would have to do a really convincing and honest come-to-Jesus with the media. A real press conference.

I cover this stuff every day. So for me, four years of Trump, selfishly, sounds a lot more enticing, just because it’s going to be a dumpster fire. And a Clinton administration would be more of what we’re seeing now, which is carefully orchestrated speeches, behind-the-scenes Wealthy McWealthysons going in and out of the White House, and really horrible transparency with the press.

Gun to my head, I would probably vote Trump because of my feelings about Hillary, and my—I just want to see what happens. But if I were to talk to you tomorrow, I’d be like, “Ugh! I’ve gotta vote for Hillary!”

Remember, that is a journalist talking. Horrible. Just another form of “if it bleeds, it leads” I guess.

13 Likes

Ahahaha no. My tone is never light or forgiving.

No, she just has to act like she cares. Her male counterparts don’t care much either, and I couldn’t give half a crap about them as well.

2 Likes

I just want to second this. I see HRC critics cite generic “policy disagreements” but they never seem to cite what in her current platform they disagree with… instead, I see them reference incidents while she was First Lady or her Iraq War vote or her enforcement of Obama’s foreign policy, which are worth considering, but miss that in those same periods, HRC was also pushing her own progressive agenda which lines up with her current campaign platform. I don’t get it!

15 Likes

You may have thought about things, but I expect there’s a flaw in your thinking.

Since you know there’s no chance at all Stein will win, why vote? If the election is close and the Greens actually manage to get enough votes to damage the Dems. in some state do really you think the Dems. will transform to a far-left party that abandons their larger demographics to suit the minority of far-left voters? If, God forbid, they manage to pull another Nader and contribute to swinging the election to Trump, the Green voters will have hosed us all.

Clinton will give the left ~50% of what they want more or less. Trump will give the left 0% of what they want. Voting Green is leaving it up to others whether you get something or nothing at all, while indirectly supporting an overt racist, xenophobic demagogue promising to harm millions. You’re better off not voting, really, since the far-left Greens will be perceived (correctly IMO) as indirectly supporting out overt an racist, xenophobic demagogue promising to harm millions, and that hurts the causes of the left and of progress.

16 Likes

Elizabeth Warren would have been an awesome president.

9 Likes

Re: 3rd party - we really need a weighted voting system, IMHO.

9 Likes

Type here. Use Markdown, BBCode, or HTML to format. Drag or paste images.[quote=“nathanrudy, post:39, topic:85424”]
In summer 1948, Harry Truman had a 39% approval rating.
[/quote]

I’ll give you that one. He won reelection in 1948.

(formatted for legibility) All lost.[quote=“nathanrudy, post:39, topic:85424”]
In summer 2004, George W. Bush had a 48% approval rating.
[/quote]

Won, but 48% is within striking distance, considering third party presence and polling error.

Likewise, Clinton’s approval numbers are good enough where she will probably win this, assuming approval maps directly to voting. Johnson has 9% support and Stein has 3% support, so Clinton will need ~44% of the vote to win. She can win, and I believe she will win, but why is the race this fucking close against a complete fartclown like Trump?

9 Likes

Maybe the confusion is because platforms are marketing fluff and not reality once in office.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, there seems to be a “could I sit down and enjoy a drink with candidate X” litmus test that many employ.
I seem to recall stories that H. can be wickedly funny when relaxing with friends, so she probably really should pass that test better than Drumpf, but… [quote=“chgoliz, post:6, topic:85424”]
Because she’s a woman. Seriously. Women are classified by likeability and fuckability. Yes, even professional women, and even publicly and in the media.
[/quote]

14 Likes

I think you’ve nailed it. Bernie had a vision for the future, which made his message resonate. Trump also has a vision, not that it’s anything I could stand behind, or is any good for the country. I see Obama as having had a vision and the charisma to get the attention of the voters. Too bad that it turned out that he was either lying or discovered that the President doesn’t get to make the decisions.

8 Likes

Since you seem to think ANOTHER argument could possibly change my mind at this point, while regurgitating the same old lines I’ve already seen hundreds of times and can recite from memory, there are flaws in yours as well.

1 Like

:arrow_up: :japanese_ogre: :flag_black: :smile:

Well, it’s you’re vote to waste in vanity to harm the causes of the left, happy to not discuss, really.

2 Likes

Obligatory:

*lolz

Yeah, I’d kinda noticed.

Double Obligs:

Did I happen to mention that someone ‘unscrewed the lid’ on that particular jar?

19 Likes