Today in transphobia (Part 1)

16 Likes

And the same people who are attacking trans care are the ones who object to bans on so-called “reparative therapy”.

I know every trans person and ally who’s fighting back already knows it but unfortunately it still needs to be said: opponents of gender-affirming care promote child abuse under the guise of “curing homosexuality” but object to anyone, adults included, getting scientifically proven care.

9 Likes

This case sound like a transphobe’s wet dream. Other than the fact that there seem to be systems in place to deal with the fact that she is a convicted rapist and review things accordingly and come up with a solution that the transphobes would like all without having to strike down Scotlands new gender law.

Transgender rapist Isla Bryson moved to men’s prison

I do wonder if some were secretly or not so secretly salivating at the prospect that she would rape someone in prison so they could say “See, we are right”

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter if she’s guilty of a crime. She should NOT be in a men’s prison. This isn’t difficult. The only reason to put her in a men’s prison is retaliation. We know what happens to trans women in men’s prisons. They get raped.

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

We shouldn’t avoid doing the right thing because the far right can weaponize it. They don’t give a shit if trans people do everything right. They want to eliminate them entirely. We win nothing by violating our own sense of morality to try and “win” them over. They don’t want to be won over.

12 Likes

Do they move cisgender women convicted of sexual assault to men’s prisons?

14 Likes

Based on the quotes in the article, they don’t believe a cis gender woman is capable of rape. Which is messed up because cis women are quite capable and have done so. It doesn’t take a penis to rape someone.

16 Likes

Well, that’s a bunch of bullshit.

Billie Eilish Wtf GIF by Global Citizen

Some days, I despair…

11 Likes

Then they must think that trans women who have vaginas aren’t capable of rape?

13 Likes

It’s probably important to reiterate that this focusing on trans people as offenders is used to obscure the fact that trans people are more often victims than cisgender people.

“* Nearly half (47%) of respondents were sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetime and one in ten (10%) were sexually assaulted in the past year. In communities of color, these numbers are higher: 53% of Black respondents were sexually assaulted in their lifetime and 13% were sexually assaulted in the last year.”

I apologize for ruining the moral panic people are trying to foist upon us.

13 Likes

rupauls drag race bingo GIF

12 Likes

Oh, you and your logic!

15 Likes

When will I learn?

14 Likes

Hopefully never

13 Likes

Yet another opportunity for my clouds and boxes analogy. Everything is a continuum and trying to force it into discrete modules is always artificial.

12 Likes

Absolutely.

When it comes to labels, it’s more about what feels right for an individual. Everyone’s experience of sexuality/gender will be unique to them, and attempting to put your understanding of them onto others will inevitably fail. I feel comfortable with the label lesbian because it feels right to describe my reality, but invariably when I discuss this stuff with others who use the same label, there are things that they tie to the identity that I don’t experience or agree with.

For this reason, I accept the labels others use for themselves even if it doesn’t accord with my understanding of that label, just as I would push back against someone trying to force their interpretation on me.

14 Likes

This is a common belief among UK anti-trans activists, and it’s down to the way the law defines rape. Legally speaking in the UK, a penis is necessary for a rape to occur. It’s total bullshit, of course, but I’ve spent enough time talking in circles with UK TERFs that I now know where that’s coming from.

The Sexual Offences Act 2003 says that someone commits rape if all of the following happens: They intentionally penetrate the vagina, anus or mouth of another person with their penis . The other person does not consent to the penetration. They do not reasonably believe that the other person consents.

12 Likes

Ah. After I posted, I was thinking there may be some kind of hyper specific legal definition of rape that required a penis. I know several US states had similar definitions that were changed to the more encompassing sexual assault because, as you said, that is some bullshit.

I am so tired of seeing how a sexual assault committed by a trans person is amplified so much when there are literally dozens of sexual assaults by cis gender ppl in any given area a day. I know why it’s done, and it makes me ill.

ETA: Even with that hyper specific legal definition of rape, it really does seem like a little bit of gaslighting. I’m not sure that most people hearing them would understand that they mean this very narrow crime instead of what most of us understand is rape

13 Likes
13 Likes

Fortunately some local organizations are finding ways to adapt even though they shouldn’t have to.

10 Likes

Motivating Indigenous People GIF

10 Likes