Today's mass shootings

Also here’s another one:

Since they changed how they are doing things after the realignment and the new chief’s policies have gotten put in , suddenly numbers are different looking and they’re having to address them. Shit that got covered up here before just isn’t anymore.

that’s the same story we were already talking about

that’s not how it works, but you can link to his articles that prove your thesis, if they exist

1 Like

That’s fair.

It’s a lot harder to find stuff in the Oregonian now that they just basically leave stories up on the front page forever, and bury other stuff, and print stuff in the paper editions that never get put on line. Now that they’ve made stuff “subscriber exclusive” it’s even harder to find it. It’s really hard to find this information on the ground because of the new encrypting , and the fact that some areas and crimes just don’t get policed in portland right now.

I did provide an article about how the numbering schemas are changing and how that is causing big increases. It wasn’t just in shootings, it was also responsible for increases in hit and run deaths, rapes, violent crimes, property crimes, meth / drug sales, and vandalism crime. It’s sad that they were pulling this stuff, and that it took the old police chief leaving to go to PA for these things to be uncovered.

Oddly, second city I lived in where the police chief left for a “better job” and then suddenly all the facts about the cooked books started coming out. Happened to Ronal Serpas in Nashville too.

“Shootings in Portland are common”

And

“The PPB has been downplaying shooting numbers”

Are two different statements. By the numbers, relative to similar cities, the first one is false. I won’t contest the second one. I believe it. But it doesn’t prove the first one.

1 Like

i assumed the upticks in some types of crime across the us were due to so many people being out of work. that said, cooking the books wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

1 Like

now just pull the rest from tear gassing protestors and we’re all set. ( it does seem appropriate that the primary function of police should be investigating crimes and not wasting gas doing endless patrolling and profiling of drivers of color. )

2 Likes

St. Louis is nearly 3 times the rate of Chicago. O_o

I knew they’d be first, but was quite surprised to see how high places like Dayton, Ohio and West Palm Beach, Florida were. Chicago is ‘only’ #16, right in front of Little Rock.

8 Likes

That’s fair, yes, compared to a lot of cities we’re down.

I guess my problem is, I don’t know where we’re really standing as a city when we’ve been messing with the stats. As we saw, regularly apparently massive gunfights can break out in a city with only 17 homicides reported as of June 30 and still rate below the fold in the oregonian if it gets mentioned at all.

If the police are downplaying, and the media’s not reporting, then we don’t really know where we stand. All I know is that a city of the size of 640,000 or so shouldn’t have multiple rolling gunfights a week.

1 Like

I have lived in Chicago, Dayton, and St Louis, and those figures don’t surprise me in the least.

5 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes

Lived there, then…

… lived there, came from there before moving to ATX.

St. Louis had a reggae band that actually called themselves the Murder City Players.
Ouch.

9 Likes

Hmmm… I was pretty close to one of these.

15 Likes
14 Likes

well, this is an odd one. 7 different shootings over the course of a few months, all while driving for ups

10 Likes

53 shot over the weekend.

7 Likes

My brother lives up there. When I asked him about this, he said “booze and guns, pretty predictable.” In 2020, yeah, I suppose that’s all one can say.

10 Likes

https://www.wbir.com/mobile/article/news/local/fern-creek-shooting-metrosafe-confirms/417-1bcb4260-62f8-4e0f-87f1-0ab7651874d4

Grrr, won’t onebox

2 Likes

Once again, kids a target of convenience, I guess?

12 Likes