Today's mass shootings

I was using cnn as a test of internet connectivity and there were 6 shootings listed without me having to scroll down. Only one of them I had heard about.

10 Likes
6 Likes

The good guy with a gun is the bad guy with a gun? Seems like he should have stopped himself. Sure is a puzzler, no mistake.

11 Likes

I just peeked at my news feed and it looks like there were at least three or four mass shootings in the United States just TODAY.

10 Likes

clearly the problem is we have to redefine what mass shooting means. /s

actually, i say that slightly with sarcasm, slightly not because last year gun violence was way up - and went only sort of kind of noticed by the press

in april 2020, there were 26 incidents that qualified. in june: 91(!)

but mostly they didn’t break through to public consciousness. coronavirus and elections probably had something to do with it. something tells me it’s also that many of those were probably not in nice white neighborhoods and so they didn’t rate as news. ( i guess im feeling cynical today )

that there’s a sudden increase in reporting which will now inevitably compete with the coverage of police violence… i can’t help but see it as a “don’t you dare touch police” message

9 Likes

Broderick is a former Travis County Sheriff’s Office detective who was charged with the sexual assault of a child, Travis County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Kristen Dark told CNN.

Dark said Broderick resigned from the department last year after he was arrested and charged with sexual assault of a child. He was arrested June 20 and released on bond the same month.

(via)

Why in the everloving fuck was he still allowed to own a gun‽

Oh wait, right, Texas.

12 Likes

from now on only news if it sets a new record

5 Likes

No News is Good News: A poem

Another shooting.
How many?
Not that many.
At a store?
Apartments.
DV?
Probably?
Well that’s fine then.

deathepihany

7 Likes

1 dead, 2 hurt in Long Island supermarket office shooting, suspect at large: Police - ABC News (go.com)

9 juveniles injured in gunfight that broke out at 12-year-old’s birthday party - ABC News (go.com)

What the fuck is going on? Are we trying to catch up for all the mass shootings that didn’t happen due to Covid?

14 Likes

Someone upthread, or in a mass shooting related thread pointed out that mass shootings did not slow down last year, they merely got shunted to the third or fourth page of the news due to the pandemic. :slightly_frowning_face:

15 Likes

If anything , they sped up, dramatically. People are not meant to be isolated for a year or more. It causes problems.

We could’ve defeated the virus with a hard closure, but some 25% of us kept screaming about “freedumbs” while not wearing a face covering. COVID didn’t have to become a pandemic heading toward endemic. Selfishness has consequences, so here we are.

10 Likes

We definitely could have slowed it down, but there wasn’t ever going to be a defeating of this virus. It was too late for that, and no amount of locking down the US did would have stopped other countries who haven’t locked down from continuing it.

Yes, it would have been nice if we did the right thing, but COVID was always going to be a pandemic. Studies are now showing it was out of control months before China even notified the WHO officially on 12/31/2019 that it was a thing.

1 Like
8 Likes

Smith told reporters that one of the victims was a 3-month-old baby who was hospitalized in “serious condition.” A press release issued later by his department didn’t specify the age of the wounded child.

Fuck

11 Likes

Guess we are past due to get back to school shootings.
Shooting at Idaho middle school injures 3; student captured - ABC News (go.com)
Damn it, can we please just not?

16 Likes

Angry Powers GIF by Film Riot

11 Likes

It was Colorado’s worst mass shooting since a gunman killed 10 people at a Boulder supermarket March 22.

This is not a statistic that we should even have, let alone one that gets brought up once a month.

20 Likes

Angry Frustration GIF by MOODMAN

14 Likes
9 Likes