Today's mass shootings

4 dead. Over a portion of a stimulus check.

10 Likes

It looks like the incel hypothesis was correct.

2 Likes

things like this seem to be a set of factors. this has marks of white grievance, misogyny, racism, toxic masculinity, targeting of a marginalized community -

all of this stuff is wrapped up together in american society, and i think it’d be wrong to choose one because that has the implication “if it weren’t for that one thing, none of this would have happened”

( id also really never take the murderer’s rationale for their motive as the thing. mass shooters aren’t very trustworthy by definition, and they have narratives about themselves and their actions which rarely match reality. )

19 Likes

I take the killer’s word to some degree when he says that he felt intense shame in his using the services of these businesses. No matter how the causality gets sliced up, toxic masculinity is a big part of the pie. I guess that isn’t saying much since it is a big part of the pie in every last one of these things.

i guess he’s going to be in for a big surprise about the intense shame that comes from killing six people then

the dude was never forced into participating in the trafficking of women, and killing people isn’t a typical reaction when you realize that something you’ve done is bad

it is however an excuse that someone might use because they can’t face up to what they’ve done. and as someone speculated in the other thread, it’s the sort of excuse the police might coach him towards either explicitly or implicitly because of their own bias. a bias that’s been on quite openly on display

that’s my view anyway

16 Likes

White, male, racist, sexist…what’s missing from this picture? Oh, yeah:

His ‘sex addiction’ (not an actual thing) is steeped in extremist religious taboos.

24 Likes

Unsurprising…

But I have to say the Vice article is leaning into the whole bullshit about having a bunch of people say “this is so shocking, he was such a bookish, smart, nice young man.”

18 Likes

Republican response: see, these stimulus checks are already killing Americans!

8 Likes

27 Likes

It’s just an excuse and a seemingly desperate way to try to weasel out of hate crime multipliers to the murder charges. It’s ignoring the fact that he very specifically targeted Asian women. If he was truly a “crazed sex addict” looking to kill women or even more specifically sex workers, he didn’t need to drive some 40 miles and target specific places to do it.

But then again, he was clear having a “really bad day” and killed some people to make himself feel better. We’ve all been there, right?

15 Likes

Cross posted, but worth repeating:

Atlanta shooting: Did suspect Robert Aaron Long have “a sex addiction?” What does that even mean? - Vox

12 Likes
6 Likes

The website for his church, which has since disowned him, once had this bit of advice.

5 Likes
15 Likes

live-streamed video also showed a man wearing only shorts being removed from the store in handcuffs after police went in. One of his legs was covered in blood. It’s not clear if the man was a shooting suspect or whether he was arrested.

Yup

ETA: the death toll is up to 10 now.

10 Likes
17 Likes

that case lauded by the nra, that happened exactly one week previously.

sickening.

17 Likes

Every time this senselessness happens i’m reminded of that superb little bit on Newswipe over a decade ago.

4 Likes

except it breaks the rules of the very thing they’re trying to talk about by repeatedly showing the shooter’s face over and over… winding up feeling exactly the same as the news that they’re claiming to decry

5 Likes

second paragraph of the denver post article:

Officer Eric Talley, 51, was killed in the shooting. Boulder Police Chief Maris Herold said at a news conference on Monday night. He’d been with the department since 2010 and was first to respond to a call about shots fired and someone carrying “a patrol rifle.”

WTF is a patrol rifle?

Here’s an Arkansas definition

Law Enforcement personnel assigned to utilize a Patrol Rifle are required to qualify with the Rifle a minimum of one time annually. A Patrol Rifle is defined as any center fire rifle primarily designed for Military/Law Enforcement use and has a detachable box magazine (i.e. M-16, AR15, M4, HK MP5, UMP, Ruger Mini 14, Remington 7600P, and or variants.) Sporting rifles, converted sporting rifles, or bolt- action rifles are not considered patrol rifles.

Oh. So it’s an “assault rifle”.

6 Likes