Today's mass shootings

10 Likes

“It doesn’t make any sense when you look at the whole circumstances of why we believe it happened,” the sheriff told WJXX, adding a motive remains under investigation.

Leeper said Broyles’ daughter may have had autism, but was high-functioning, WJXX reported.

That’s a creative new way to try to blame the victims.

And don’t you love how he is referenced by his work, whereas his victims are referenced by their relationship to him.

16 Likes

This is local to me, his story and the other kid’s stories are getting talked about all over the local news. I also liked that the prosecutor will not mention the shooters name in press conferences, she wants the attention on the victims.

That kid was a hero but how messed up is it that he had to be a hero? No kid should ever be put in that position.

Any renaming, in my opinion, should honor all the victims and if it weren’t for covid in our state being out of control I would be at the candlelit vigil tomorrow evening.

11 Likes

I get that, but at the same time, it really is frustrating. If this was a black kid (and I’m assuming as that school is in an area that’s 97% white) or a hispanic kid, his name and photo would be all over the news. But given that it’s a more affluent community, we just aren’t hearing ANYTHING about it.

Look on clickondetroit.com of the freep, there’s plenty of articles and the shooter’s name has been released because he will be tried as an adult.

@tcg550: Just because I’m in Washtenaw County doesn’t mean this shooting isn’t local to me. The copycat threats are circulating through a ton of SE Michigan schools today. One of Ann Arbor’s high schools has essentially shut down (nothing on the news about it, I found out from coworkers with kids at that school - all the kids were leaving or getting picked up early) and another had a heavy police presence as of an hour ago.

12 Likes

Yeah, that story gut-punched me.

I admit to a tear or two. America is seriously f’d up as it is increasingly clear that the dominant culture is ok with consuming its own young.

Mercy mercy.

For a start.

7 Likes

I saw all that this morning, sucks that people will take advantage of the situation. Hopefully law enforcement follows through on threats to prosecute any threat or report of a threat to a school. It’s being reported that a lot of threats are showing up on social media so it should be kind of easy to find and make examples of these people.

As horrific as the crime was I don’t think that it’s appropriate to charge any 15-year-old as an adult, no matter what the crime was. Their brains are just not fully formed yet, and we as a society need to recognize that children just aren’t as equally culpable as adults. They need to be punished when appropriate but even the worst children should be given the possibility for eventual growth and redemption.

I’m definitely in favor of throwing the book at irresponsible parents who don’t take appropriate steps to secure their firearms though. Or worse, the ones that actively arm children that shouldn’t have them.

[edited for typos]

10 Likes

I presume you meant to say "not appropriate "?

4 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Bullying and terrorism

honestly, i feel the same thing should be true for adults. to the point where probably our parole hearings are reversed. i think people should probably be released with supervision after some discrete amount of time unless the parole board intervenes to hold people who remain an active danger to society.

but yeah, minors are an especially special case.

everything you said is spot on.

i also feel like the search for motive is so besides the point. people seem to act like, if only we could understand why this happens we could stop it.

meanwhile, there is a clear and rational way to stop this without worrying about “what were the shooter’s feels”. almost every other country on the planet has figured it out already. get rid of the guns

12 Likes

The prosecutor was just on CNN, it sounds like tommorow is going to be the day we learn about the parents role.

This is becoming more horrific as it unfolds.

1 Like

Four counts each involuntary manslaughter.

They knew that day that he had drawn some things depicting the shooting and they never asked where the gun was. They bought the gun for him as a gift. He was caught in school searching on his phone for ammunition, they called his mom, she did not respond and then texted him “LOL I’m not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught.”

These parents are not the best example of parents. It sounds like this was preventable, at least that day at that moment if the parents had just listened.

And I just found out MIchigan does not have safe storage laws.

4 Likes

Words fail me.

14 Likes

Do these parents care about thier child at all? He did something horrific, is in an adult jail, facing trial for his crimes and his parents run away
Wtf? Monster or not, the shooter is still a child and still needs their support, even limited as it will be as they face their own charges. They should have surrendered and tried to arrange for the dad to be incarcerated with the kid.

13 Likes

The parents are clearly monsters but, honestly, the worse they make themselves look right now the more helpful that is for their kid’s legal defense. If the defense team can argue that the kid was twisted by his hateful parents he may come off as a more sympathetic character than one whose parents were loving and supportive.

10 Likes

And then the parents get off because they didn’t pull the trigger.

10 Likes

Why start now?

10 Likes
10 Likes

congress could really stand to practice “active coup attempt” on a regular basis

republicans can get the extra handout: what to do when your own voters want to hang you. and: 27 ways to bury your head in the sand

9 Likes