Today's mass shootings

I’ll guarantee you they’re already spreading that story. Swanson will have it on Faux tonight.

16 Likes

Hmm, maybe if cops confiscate your weapons after you threaten to kill everyone, you shouldn’t be able to buy a gun. :thinking:

15 Likes

There’s a red flag law in Illinois- people were sleeping on the job.

Edit:

13 Likes

Let’s just hope that they don’t turn the cross-dressing killer waiting to strike into an established bogeyman. That could turn really, really ugly.

6 Likes

It seems the cross-dressing killer trope is already well-established in pop culture.

2 Likes

You know the aspect of the story I care the absolute the least about… THAT HE WORE WOMEN’S CLOTHING… WTAF? Why are people TALKING about that. He just killed 7 people, and it seems like people are clutching their pearls MORE over his disguise then the fact that he just shot up a bunch of random people…

Oh, you KNOW they’re already doing that shit, the fucknuts.

13 Likes

I care, not that he wore women’s clothes, but that fascists will use this to further demonize trans people just like they did after Uvalde.

15 Likes

True, but especially the association with mass shootings would allow people to justify all kinds of horrible things in the name of security. And if the history of vaguely Muslim-looking people on planes has taught us anything, then that the law enforcement will happily indulge even the most ridiculous alleged fears as long as they affect acceptable targets.

4 Likes

I care about that, too. I’m not annoyed with you for posting the article, just to be clear, but with the outlets that seem to be pearl clutching over this, and giving these bigots even more ammo for punching down at trans people.

I don’t know… everything makes me incandescent with rage lately.

14 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

12 Likes

Jack Black Reaction GIF

I don’t remember what tranquillity feels like.

13 Likes

broadchurch-angry-as-me-now

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

13 Likes

I’d love to take an internet break for my mental health, but too many important things are happening right now that I want to keep tabs on.

14 Likes

I do think there’s a point to be made that he was able to leave the area undetected because his disguise was so good…after all, how many mass shooters have been women?

Funny how that works. But will law enforcement and local politicians be able to see that connection?

13 Likes
13 Likes
13 Likes

One of the follow up articles to the Highland murders was using more than 4 dead as their threshold for comparison. Maybe it made the number of events in the States this year an easier number. I do not know.

5 Likes

It’s been at least seven years for me since I felt like things could still be salvaged on a societal level, and I’m playing on Scalzi’s “easy mode”. I can only imagine what it’s like for someone playing on serious difficulty levels.

As a counterbalance to that gloom, Cory has a good column out this month.

10 Likes

The election of the orange asshole solidified my feelings that the US was headed for a societal breakdown. I had been feeling that way since the mid 2000’s financial crash though I still had glimmers of hope that we would pull ourselves out of this mess. Then 2016 happened and all hope was lost. I’ll find joy where and when I can but things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Cory’s column did provide a much needed counterbalance and the difficulty setting article was great.

11 Likes

jesus that’s awful. ( it’s awful all the way around granted )

someday this dam stopping gun safety has got to break. there’s got to be some moment when people have really truly had enough. i know i have. i’m at the point now where i think the gop is more culpable than the individual shooters

meanwhile the nra supporters will be chanting: guns don’t kill people, dresses do.

12 Likes