Today's mass shootings

What We Don’t Know about School Shooter Drills:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2308309

5 Likes
3 Likes

And not even one smidgen of advice about being there for your boys, bullying, teaching emotional maturity, and how a young man felt so threatened as to run for the gun in his mother’s car. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

NBC is confirming 22 dead.

Fox News is giving advice to victims on how to stop the bleeding if your injured.

3 Likes

I have a sibling in Maine that I don’t speak to but I was concerned so I checked Google maps to see how close they were(30 miles) and Google maps has pins marking the shooting locations and they gave a warning saying your route may be affected by the shootings.

So we’re at the point where mass shootings show up like a traffic jam or construction zone.

Oh, and Hannity said everyone should have a defense plan like him. He explained how he’s trained in mixed martial arts. He thinks he can win a fight with an assault rifle with his bare hands.

4 Likes

I sincerely look forward to the news reports of the aftermath of his attempt to do so.

7 Likes

… thoughts and prayers?

1 Like

I happened across the below post just after I saw the news about Lewiston, and posted about the same time as this one.

It’s of course way too early to speculate, but my brain just went ahead and hypothesized a connection anyway. Because everything is terrible, and all the terrible things seem to cause all the other terrible things.

5 Likes

I’m not one for conspiracy theories, but there is a local ballot question asking us to give $45M, but really $83M with interest to build a new cop station.
I don’t think that fancy new station would’ve changed what we’re dealing with tonight, but I do wonder if it will change people’s votes.

9 Likes
5 Likes

… another poster boy for the Second Amendment

5 Likes
3 Likes

I didn’t even want to be the one to post that; let a more seasoned user do that or perhaps an author/contributor.

And I have spent awhile trying to come up with words, but all I think to say is trite and patronizing.

Try to find joy in the small things is all I got. Earlier, I spent nearly two hours on the phone with an old friend. That helped. Sending good mojo your way.

5 Likes

I turn to music to help me

2 Likes

Another poster boy for “Why the fuck didn’t they take his guns away?”

8 Likes

Hey, now, don’t you know the rule in America? “Pay no attention to the easy availability of firearms in this country!”

6 Likes

To Dinesh D’Souza’s post: so you want to treat guns like cars?

• require owners to register them with the government
  • require users to be a certain age in order to operate them
  • require users to get tested (both written and practical skill) before they’re licensed to operate them
  • require annual inspections of the devices by third parties (not taking the owner’s word for it) to ensure they fall inside certain requirements for safety and efficiency
  • allow (require) police to arrest people who use them while under the influence of intoxicants
  • allow police to stop and fine and/or arrest those who use them unsafely (even if not intoxicated)
  • allow courts to easily suspend gun licenses for abusers (indeed, have certain offenses automatically suspend the license)

Those sound like reasonable suggestions. [Which is exactly why I suspect D’Souza would hate them and argue against them with the mantra “Second Amendment”.]

11 Likes