Toddler shoots, kills woman in Walmart

A kid can grab a gun from a holster. Why is that any different from a purse?

I still remember the day I found a gun in my momā€™s purse, actually a whole bunch of 'em.

I was about six at the time and rummaging around in there came across all the weapons from our Star Wars action figures, which had mysteriously disappeared a couple weeks back.

5 Likes

Because a decent holster holds the weapon securely & it is unlikely you will not notice your sidearm being pulled at.

But more or just as importantly a decent holster isnā€™t likely to have a pencil, cigarette lighter or mascara tube jammed into the trigger well, clicking off your safety when you get your keys out of it, or gutshotting yourself when you root around for your debit card to buy some food at the drive through.

3 Likes

You betcha. Itā€™s all the rage in dispute resolution courses at universities now.

2 Likes

Because you wear a holster, and a two year old, or anyone else is highly unlikely to be able to remove your handgun from your holster on your body without your noticing, while an unattended purse can be rifled through at the childā€™s leisure. Also, any decent holster has a catch and/or strap that holds the gun preventing it from just getting ā€œpulled outā€ it requires some unfastening.

Itā€™s about awareness, and taking responsibility of the weapon you posses. Itā€™s a shoddy and unacceptable excuse that the body holster is perhaps uncomfortable, or bulky, or doesnā€™t go with oneā€™s fashion, or is too heavy to carry around all the time.

When you buy a gun, youā€™re taking on a responsibility, whether or not itā€™s explicitly stated.

1 Like

The NRA has promoted racist guns laws for almost as long as it has been an organization.

Remember, the NRA was pro-gun control long before it was pro-second amendment.

4 Likes

I prefer fighting with a busted 40oz bottle, and a motorcycle chain myself. But to each their own.

6 Likes

Where to beginā€¦

2 Likes

Ask the millions of people who donā€™t hunt or arenā€™t soldiers? The millions involved in one of the dozens of organized games and sports and competitions.

Certainly there are guns made with killing game or defense in mind. Certainly some bullets are made with killing game or defense in mind.

There are many guns made with other considerations in mind, same with bullets. Open Tip Match bullets have some of the best accuracy you can buy, but lack luster performance for hitting living targets. Great for punching paper. Competition guns set up to shoot fast and straight arenā€™t made for being lugged around in the woods on for conceal carry. All lead bullets for shooting steel plates. Most people who spend $3000 on a rifle are doing so they can brag about shooting <1 MOA off a bench, not shoot a deer.

If you think a majority of people use guns to kill things you have a very warped view of reality. And my point Iā€™ve repeatedly made is the actual REAL application of guns does not match with the fantasy world that media presents guns are used for. It would be like if TV only showed cars being used for racing and ignoring that most people use them to get to work or school.

Depends on the knifeā€¦ some butter croissants well. A Kabar is good enough to kill a bear.

Did you read that article or just the title?

Show me what exactly is racist about the gun Control Act of 1968. Hell, show me which part of the law you find unreasonable.

Also continue the story of the change of NRA leadership in the 70s and point out that NRA chapters were created by black men in the south during the civil right movement.

Show me in the last 20 years a law the NRA supported that was racist. Iā€™ll cut up my card today.

So, the second amendment doesnā€™t really apply to guns, is that what youā€™re saying?

No, what? Defense is one of the applications. In current times it isnā€™t the most used one. The irrational fear surrounding them partially stems from people having no idea how many and how often they are used for things other than killing stuff.

Oh geez, this discussion. Here is what blows me away:

Cars are equally as deadly and no one disputes there needs to be laws around usage and ownership. Fertilizer is equally as deadly and etc. Do I need to mention even wiring 220 in your own home?

95% of gun ownership is knowing what you shouldnā€™t do. But for some reason the same proportion of gun owners I know disregard those guidelines. So it is great to argue that the theoretical gun accident rate is X, but the practical implications are literal tons of dead bodies.

So if you support gun ownership, please help to clean up our shared mess, and cut the libertarian BS.

9 Likes

The NRA changed its purpose in 1977

2 Likes

I did. Iā€™m not sure you did.

The article tells how the NRA says gun control laws are inherently racist. Thatā€™s the first line:

ā€œNational Rifle Association President David Keene stirred controversy Saturday by insisting that gun controlā€™s origins were racistā€

The 1968 laws were targeted at the Black Panthers:

ā€œBlack radicals with guns, coupled with the devastating race riots that wiped out whole neighborhoods in Newark and Detroit in 1967, helped persuade Congress to pass the Gun Control Act of 1968. That law barred felons from purchasing firearms, expanded the licensing of gun dealers, and barred imports of ā€œSaturday Night Specialsā€ā€”cheap, often poorly made guns that were frequently used for crime by urban youth.ā€

Itā€™s not a coincidence that young black men are imprisoned at a rate much higher than their per capita numbers would indicate.

About those black NRA chapters:

Itā€™s unclear, however, whether the NRA provided any assistance, based on what Williamsā€™ widow, Mabel, said in a University of North Carolina oral history interview.

Mabel Williams said her husband altered the occupations of the members when applying for the NRA charter. ā€œIā€™m sure when we joined and the years after then, had they known we were a black group, they would have revoked our charter,ā€ she said.

Ted Nugent is on the board of the NRA. Heā€™s pretty obviously a racist:

Even pro-gun sites acknowledge the NRA has a problem with race:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/robert-farago/rick-ector-why-the-nra-doesnt-include-blacks/

And the NRAā€™s News program produces segments like this one:

So if Iā€™m asked how racist is the NRA, Iā€™m going to stick with ā€œpretty racist.ā€

9 Likes

I think heā€™s saying that people are using them as hammers. Itā€™s hard to follow.

5 Likes

Iā€™m down with the ā€œitā€™s a toolā€ argument, and donā€™t believe you can legislate a solution. But donā€™t lie about the primary purpose and design of the tool.

3 Likes

I wonder if she was in the gun dept. looking for another fashion accessory?

Happened the neo-nazi capital of America.

Youā€™re right. If Trevor Martin had a gun, he might be alive today.

1 Like

4 Likes