Toddler shoots, kills woman in Walmart

Wouldn’t have helped. Sonic screwdriver, maybe.

3 Likes

Which is a good point. A lot of them are. Many of them stem from the Jim Crow era. For example having the Sheriff sign off on a handgun permit.

Well, so says your article, and I am sure the civil unrest had something to do with it passing. The 2 Kennedy and King Assassinations and the University of Texas shooting had something to do with it as well.

While I don’t agree with everything in the 68 gun laws, I also don’t see anything racist about it. I mean, most of it is rather prudent and common sense that most people asking for gun control would agree to.

What, specifically, do you find racist or questionable? Point it out, I’ll probably agree with you.

[quote=“sfrazer, post:56, topic:48996”]
Ted Nugent is on the board of the NRA. He’s pretty obviously a racist:[/quote]

Ted Nugent is a nut.

I’ll say that it’s a demographic that hasn’t traditionally been a significant part of their membership. At the same time I have seen at a gun show a black gentleman operating a booth for the NRA, including signs that gun control was racism. Two of the biggest gun rights cases recently had black plaintiffs. The NRA’s newest show features Colion Noir. While they may have a way to go to broaden their appeal, I don’t think they are trying to be exclusive at all. I’ve also read articles in the magazine featuring minorities who used weapons in self defense.

I am sure in an organization that has 5 million members, there are some racists in it. I am sure some of them are part of the leadership. They could eat babies in their spare time, I don’t know. My concern with the NRA is how they work to support gun rights. Since their leadership coup in the 70s, they have been much more hard line. I haven’t seen or heard any support for laws that could be considered racist or made concessions to keep hands out of a certain group of peoples’ hands (besides felons, criminals, and the mentally ill).

So if the NRA is run by racists, they are completely inept at keeping the black man down. If I am wrong, please forward me any info you have on them supporting a racist gun law in the last 20 years.

A racist nut. Who is still on the NRA’s board of directors. You support the NRA, you support Ted Nugent. And Oliver North.

This is pretty much the “I have a black friend” defense. You realize that, right?

That’s actually pretty easy: Stand your ground laws.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/07/17/2316591/after-zimmerman-verdict-nra-says-stand-your-ground-is-a-human-right/

You should probably find another organization to support if you’re actually concerned about racism. But I suspect you really aren’t that worried about it as long as you have unfettered access to guns.

2 Likes

I know it’s wrong but the physicist in me wants to know how fast the shopping cart carrying the kid rolled away to conserve linear momentum?

3 Likes

Clearly the only solution is to shoot toddlers on sight.

2 Likes

I guess I must be a freak, then - because I have always remembered quite a bit from when I was two years old.

I might be a freak too. I don’t remember anything before 11, when I first was put on meds for ADD. I guess that’s when my brain started focusing enough to form memories.

Well, since nobody else wrote this:

“… and nothing of value was lost.”

Also it appears nobody has suggested THE TRUTH: the kid is a mutant savant, intent on destroying the entire human race.

No, it’s not.

So, part and parcel? You hate Michelle Bachman or the CIA, you hate the United States, right, is that what you’re saying? Or do we get to support an organization or concept, but disparage parts of its current incarnation? Or are we stuck with it in perpetuity? Like, IBM sold things to Nazi Germany, so using a personal computer is anathema? But you are using a personal computer, so unless it’s a Chinese-slave-labor-supporting Mac, you’re down with the Nazi-symps, amirite?!!!

##GODWIN 

1 Like

The NRA board is elected by it’s members. This is not “Ted Nugent is crazy and a card-carrying member of the NRA, so all NRA members are crazy”

It’s “A majority of NRA members agree with Ted Nugent’s views enough to elect him to the board”

The same is true for Ollie North. If you stand with the NRA, these are the people you’ve chosen to represent you in your 2nd amendment fight.

4 Likes

Apparently, this woman was the best-of-the-best vis. training and safety.

“Nobody better try and steal my phablet from my holsturse, or they are in for a shootprise!.”

4 Likes

GUNS SAVE LIVES*.

• Except when used as directed for their intended purpose.
9 Likes

Ah, like how “all Americans”, including you, chose GWB to be president twice. Gotcha.

If she had been a black teen in the gun department purchasing a pellet gun, it’s hard to say whether the cops would have put her down before the infant did.

1 Like

“Depends on the knife… some butter croissants well. A Kabar is good enough to kill a bear.”

Perhaps I could illustrate to you through this example where your cognitive dissonance lies:

If you go to a target range in the US, where I assume we’d find all of these folks who own weapons not for killing, are they using airsoft guns, or live ammunition?

When you go to a bakery, are they using a butter knife or a machete for distributing butter on a surface?

“One of these things is not like the other”

I’m sure any psychologist could tell you why you like handling, owning and firing dangerous ordinance, I have a feeling you’d refute it though. But more importantly arguing that it’s neither dangerous, nor designed for killing is frankly asinine.

4 Likes

OMG, those poor kids!

So are you saying that you also never intend to have The Talk with them? If so, please reconsider…

http://gawker.com/what-black-parents-tell-their-sons-about-the-police-1624412625

And btw, though you may think you never promote any form of racism, there are unconscious forms, and treating black kids as if they’re white (by ignoring the fact that they’re black) is one of them.

1 Like

You’re not making any sense.

I don’t have much of a choice in being a US Citizen (I have NO choice in being an “American” because I born in North America)

You have a pretty easy and clear choice to align yourself with the NRA or not. It only requires you to write a letter to cancel your membership in protest of the board. George Bush, Sr. did it after all:

There is zero equivalence between the things you keep trying to lump me in with.

If you are a member of the NRA, you’re supporting Ted Nugent and Ollie North and the viewpoints they hold. If you stayed a member through LaPierre’s “jack-booted thugs” speech, you gave your support to that as well. Own it. Or leave them and find someone who’s viewpoints you’re okay with.

But try not to get so offended when people point out the flaws of this organization you are voluntarily supporting.

4 Likes

You assert that by being a member of a group, you give blanket support to all elected members of that group.

Thus, you assert that all Americans thus give blanket support to the President and all others acting in an official capacity.

American Citizenship is voluntary and can be relinquished, like an NRA membership. You have not done so; ergo, like an NRA member, you support the actions of all American officials.

The political argument is useless because there is no political party that wants to reduce the guns in the U.S.

The child is safer than he’s ever been.