Tough guy Brian Kemp thinks it's funny to point a gun at a teen in his Georgia governor campaign video

You have to be pretty fucking sick to 1) think this is acceptable, and 2) actually go forward with the production, and 3) actually fucking publish it.

7 Likes

Hmmm…let’s run the checklist.

• Moronic appeal to ignorant, banal “Southern Guy Honor” trope?.. Check.
  • Lots of guns in the image to show take-no-shit-from-liberal-gun-control-pansies cred?..Check!
  • Inevitable dim-witted display of stupidity and ignorance about proper, safe handling of said guns?..Double-check!!!
  • Knee-slappin’, hee-larious good-old-boy (and supportive Southern-belle mom) take on tired old schtick about dads and daughters?..Double-check!!
  • Idiot young accomplice to reinforce the above points with implied assurance that the youthful Southern bucks get it…and will carry the shit-head “tradition” into the future?..Check, check, check…

Oh Georgia! Don’t ever change.

10 Likes

Heck, he gives dumbshits a bad name.

16 Likes

How many of Kemp’s daughters is Kemp married to?

8 Likes

Hey, Daddy Kemp just brought his daughters into the conversation, let’s go with that. Wait, is that their framed pictures on the dresser at the very end of the shoot?

Boy, this video needs a re-do with some edits, like… The young suitor is non-white, maybe non-male, see how ol’ Pappy Kemp reacts with his 12 ga then. Scene then cuts over to Daddy’s sentencing hearing where you see him pleading to the newly elected Gov. Abrams for a pardon. Haha!

Yes! All y’all Peaches down there in Georgia, Stacey Abrams! Read her bio, she’s pretty bad ass.

3 Likes

AT AT that. Roger That!

giphy

12 Likes

In no way am I siding with this asshat. But I do have a story to share about pointing guns at kids.

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that my dad loved guns, and his love of guns didn’t pass down to me.

He also loved drinking (this isn’t going to go as bad as you may be thinking at this point).

When I was 8 or 9 years old – so mid-1970s – a friend and I were running around my front lawn, being the stupid kids we were, and my dad was sitting in the bed of his truck, drinking his beers.

Someone had an idea – it may have been my idea, I had lots of ideas at that age – that, while we ran around, he should use his black powder pistol without the lead balls loaded to shoot at us, and we would pretend to be shot and fall down.

You have to take a few extra steps to actually load that type of pistol, and we were a good 15 to 20 feet away, so no chance of going out like Brandon Lee.

That said, after around 10 or so shots, the cops arrived. Things got interesting. My dad went away for a while. He got the pistol back a few months later. We never did that again.

That pistol is the only gun I own. I’ve had it for around five years or so, and have never loaded or fired it. I’ve certainly never pointed it at anyone, even though I know it’s 100% safe.

6 Likes

My manager is in Georgia. There isn’t snow like that. You need an Endor AT-AT.

8 Likes

Is this one of those “good guy with a gun” “responsible gun owners” we hear so much about?

Wait, lets run through the checklist:
[___] Has lots of firearms
[___] Is white
[___] Is male

Why yes! Yes it is! This is one of those “good guys with a gun” “responsible gun owners” we keep hearing so much about!

15 Likes

10 Likes

You left out shoe size IQ, why?

5 Likes

He does not actually point the gun at the kid. When the breech is open, it is in front of the kid’s knees. When he closes it, he raises the muzzle straight up. It is a matter of literal perspective.
The “father talking to his daughter’s suitor while cleaning a gun” is an old trope. It is also not controversial in most of society for fathers to feel it is their primary function in life to provide for and protect their kids.
With the piles of guns in the background, it is pretty clear that this was intended to be funny. It would be better if we, as a society, allowed our political opponents to make jokes.
You don’t have to find this ad super funny, and the conservatives don’t have to laugh at the jokes at the correspondant’s dinner. But at least acknowledging that this is just humor, instead of getting all enraged all the time, is healthier for each of us and for society.

1 Like

Putting the atlatl in ATLanta?

14 Likes

Maybe they should first learn how to take a joke before that start thinking of themselves as comedians?

Also, some things just probably shouldn’t ever be “joked” about by those actively seeking the literal power of life and death over others. Race, rape, and firearms are three that immediately spring to mind.

20 Likes

Really, get the gun out’a your brain before you start typing. Even if you’ve been under a rock, the Gun Love Fest is over, children are more sacred than a fucking gun / gun rights. Wakeup, it’s the 21st century.

14 Likes

Yes it is:

7 Likes

tumblr_on0bncy2Cg1rvawzlo1_r1_500

8 Likes

Being a gun guy I am never in favor of pointing a gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot. It is just plain stupid and against everything that a responsible gun owner should know. That being said I watched this video a couple of times and the gun was never actually pointed at the young man. Though I do think that the intent was to imply that it was via the angle they used in the video.

Does Brian Kemp realize that according to the 2nd Amendment, he’s at the wrong end of that barrel?

8 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, I think.

Though I do think that the intent was to imply that it was via the angle they used in the video.

Wow, you really caught the gist of it all, that surprises me.

That being said I watched this video a couple of times and the gun was never actually pointed at the young man.

Well, it’s been a full day for you, better go take a nap.

8 Likes