Toxic Q-Anon Congressperson Marjorie Taylor Green insisting reps Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib retake oaths on the Christian bible

Pod person. I highly recommend you immediately contact the the federal authorities to haul you away to the Area 51 Wal-Mart FEMA camp.

2 Likes

It’s the words “Don’t Panic” in large, friendly letters that make it so reassuring for so many new officeholders across the Galaxy. Once the publishers at Megadodo Publishing realised this, newer, slightly fancier editions were rushed out. The version that the notorious Zaphod Beeblebrox used was notorious for being the only edition of the Guide that was more expensive than the Encyclopaedia Galactica

This came to an end when the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation brought out its range of automated office holders, who were not picky about which document they swore upon.

excerpted from Fnord Argwuffle McSweeney’s threedee show “How the Galactic Government Collapsed”

10 Likes

Hey Mindysan,
I should have been more explicit. In that Stone Mountain contains the carvings of Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, MTG would be an appropriate, if not welcome, addition.
Thank You!

No. Fuck that. Get them all off. Stone Mountain is a Black majority community.

18 Likes

It looks like you got half the point, but not the other half. Sure, they belong together. So Davis, Lee, and Jackson would be welcome additions to Greene in the list of faces not on Stone Mountain.

13 Likes

I think she really believes her bullshit. Trolls say shit they don’t believe in for the shit stirring it produces.

Wasn’t Jefferson?

cillian-murphy-wat

Where did you hear that? He owned a Qur’an, because he had a general interest in religion, but he was a non-denominational Deist. As far as I know, he was sworn in on a bible…

9 Likes

I think there is one senator (a former Mormon) who put “none” as her religion on a form

Sinema was sworn in as a member of the U.S. Senate on January 3, 2019. During the oath of office ceremony, led by vice president Mike Pence, she decided to be sworn in not on the traditional Bible, but on copies of the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Arizona.

6 Likes

Some time in the early 80s-late 90s, I read it in a non scholary work of some kind, not married to it just have never cared enough to actually do any homework on it, it sticks in my mind as one of the few presidents who used non bibles

Some one took their oath for Congress on the Quran Jefferson had owned but that happened in 2006.

I got curious whether he used a Bible or not in general and just a bit of googling brought this up:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20085952
The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography
Vol. 25, No. 1 (1901), pp. 71-76 (6 pages)

This gives a pretty detailed account of him swearing and specifically mentions the Bible. It’s in the first paragraph on pg 75. Seems like using the Quran would have drawn some attention at the time or at least been worth noting.

9 Likes

She would fail on the Jesus questions.

9 Likes

It does not seem to be the case. He had a Qur’an, because he had a general interest in studying religion and theology. As far as I know, no one has ever been sworn in as President on anything but a bible… not that it matters either way, of course.

Right?

6 Likes

In way, too bad. I doubt she would ever pass a test on Christianity.

Not only that, but the landmark is a nice piece of nature (even better before the disfiguring graffiti). Removing the bas-relief would be a drastic improvement.

8 Likes

regardless of the ideology or the environmental impact, it’s still just a bad, bad sculpture

lighting it up at night is a crime against art

6 Likes

The KKK and Nazis would simply die if we replaced it with Stacey Abrams, eh? :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

4 Likes

With all the constant harping I’m seeing on her these days it’s feeling very reminiscent of all the constant hand wringing from right wing hate media about AOC, Omar, and Tlaib. Except of course she is a legitimately terrible person and she’s well deserving of being raked over the coals.

In any event she’s no longer some fringe person pushing baseless conspiracy theories on her Instagram page, she’s a member of Congress FFS. Her words and actions matter. She needs to be exposed for the dangerous person that she is.

10 Likes

I’m just gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe MTG is not paying attention to what is being said about her on BoingBoing.

2 Likes

It’s an incredibly popular park, too, not just for the tourist attraction that’s grown up around the mountain. The hiking trails are popular, and they hold all sorts of events there every year (the local Highland Games are always at Stone Mountain for example).

5 Likes