Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

15 Likes

Fabulous as FUCK; that’s who she’s always been to me.

15 Likes

Spotted a really nice thread on the Twitters:

You know what is reeeeeaally cool?

Being a woman isn’t some limited edition, scant supply, hoard it like hand sanitizer thing.

Understanding that trans women ARE WOMEN does not somehow invalidate me as a woman. It just means there are more amazing women.

End.
Of.
Story.

No one is saying you matter less or your womanhood is worth less than anyone else’s.

It means that you have the opportunity to hold out a hand & welcome those who haven’t yet had the experiences you’ve had.

How great is it that you can be there with them for it?! H*ckin awesome

It isn’t cake.

You won’t run out of womanhood by sharing it with others.

Who knows, maybe one of them brought ice cream or wine. WHY WOULD YOU MISS OUT ON THAT SIMPLY TO BE IGNORANT AND SELFISH

SHARE THE UNLIMITED CAKE WITH ALL WOMEN

also the wine.

Ok but seriously who brought the wine

Original can be found here:

(Edited to fix format oopsy.)

15 Likes
13 Likes
15 Likes

The Use of Whole Exome Sequencing in a Cohort of Transgender Individuals to Identify Rare Genetic Variants

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-53500-y

6 Likes

Interesting. Dense paper, but fascinating. So the rat studies discussed certainly indicate a prenatal origin to transgender identity, so yes, you are born that way, not a choice. The human genetic study they did was too small to give meaningful results, not shocking, and the authors very rightly pointed out that it is overly simplistic to consider trans male / trans female as a binary situation, anymore than cis male / cis female is. Well done preliminary paper, they identified variants worth more study, but I will bet you, like most human characteristics, it will be multifactorial, complex and very nonbinary. Humans are complicated, messy and very difficult to understand. Same as it ever was.

11 Likes

I believe that they’re trying to up the participants to 200.

8 Likes

Yeah, unless it is a very clear single site change, 30 subjects is not adequate to suss out much of anything, and this is gonna be highly multifactorial. The rat study was not looking at genetic variants at all, only at prenatal environment. I was encouraged by the fact that they were unable to induce changes postnatally. So “making kids trans” and “curing trans” both seem to take a serious wound there.

8 Likes

I’ve studied the available “stuff” for a while. What I learned was that there is compelling evidence for biological origins for about seven decades now. Also you can also find genuine known intersex conditions in most people on the trans spectrum (while external hormonal factors during labor can also play a role). Why is every such study than treated like it is the first and a groundbreaking one?

Because society doesn’t want it to be true. On one hand you have the “binaries” who hate the idea that sex isn’t easily classified and observable at a glance and on the other people that cannot stand the idea that there are any innate sexual differences that aren’t directly reproduction related and conflate “gender identity” as in I know who I am better than anyone with “gender role”.

The moment I recognized this factor, I pretty much gave up on this.

1 Like

Honestly, and if you have seen my “clouds and boxes” analogy beaten to death upthread, this will come as no surprise, my strong suspicion is that what will be found eventually will be that male/female, cis/trans and gay/straight are all false dichotomies and humans exist in a pretty smooth continuous spectrum of who we are and who we love. When that becomes accepted, and folks are free to be who they are and love who theey love, the world will be a much better place.

19 Likes

Pretty cool “coming out to yourself” story.

9 Likes

Places to make your own positive stories.

8 Likes

Humanity’s talent at categorizing things and sorting them into neat definitional boxes is one of our greatest mental tools, and also one of our biggest sources of trouble.

3 Likes

15 Likes

A refreshing change for a celebrity to state support publicly.

14 Likes

They seem to be planning for him to become something more than Snuffleupagus next season. (Actually I guess everybody else can see Snuffleupagus now too.)

Honestly, I am surprised this hasn’t already happened. Most peds urologists won’t do these on infants anymore.

9 Likes

Cross posted in appointments

Biden appointed Rachel Levine as Asst Health Secretary!

14 Likes

I was just coming to share that news! I’m happy to see her appointment

7 Likes