Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

Could be…

For reference, Decatur is a small city right outside the city limits of ATL, but inside the interstate perimeter. It’s a very white and affluent area, but a very democratic blue area, too, but quickly becoming unaffordable (my BFF lives nearby and her area is becoming pretty unaffordble). The capitol building is in the heart of downtown, in a more diverse area, and in the past 10-15 years has a lot more people living down there, in part because of the expansion of Georgia State University.

It could be that it’s easier to do such a thing in your own backyard (it looks like this organization is set up more like BLM, with people embracing the name and taking very localized actions). Decatur is filled with lots of well-meaning upper middle class white folks, some of whom are active in politics and some in protesting… But I’m guessing that they also knew that it would be easier to do this than downtown, too.

It just seems to me to some degree that holding it there would be a case of preaching to the choir (or maybe not, as a die-in might ruffle some feathers of the more NIMBY types there), while at the Capitol it might actually bring some attention from local news. My local NPR station does a great job covering local politics, and I imagine if they’d had a die-in at the capitol, they most certainly would have covered it (as it was smack in the middle of the legislative season). The fact that they did not cover it, when they have generally excellent coverage of such protests, suggests to me that it was overlooked, because it was more out of the way, in a place where most people agree with the protesters.

I still think it’s a great idea, though, over all. Hopefully, they’ll stage more protests around here.

8 Likes

Growing pains of a new organization then?

6 Likes

Could be…

2 Likes

HAHAHA get bent Rowling

11 Likes

Fair point; the character Ripley was originally meant to be a guy…

12 Likes

Under the hashtag “Letters 4 Trans Kids“, trans, non-binary and gender non-conforming Twitter users told their own stories.

As adults, they are thriving – and they want to help young people do the same. In a news cycle so often dominated by stories that dwell on bullying, murder and whether to remove their rights, trans people brought the conversation back to joy.

11 Likes

Thread

14 Likes
13 Likes

I thought they did that a while ago? :thinking:

But here they are on the Daily Show talking about their new book…

Janelle Monae Lionsgate GIF by Antebellum

13 Likes

I’m going to have to add that that book to my reading list.

8 Likes

It sounds great!

9 Likes

Could also fit into transphobia, but I’m taking an Olympic medalist defending trans athletes as a win.

8 Likes

So—maybe it was just the article’s author and I who hadn’t heard about that. I mentioned the story to someone a few hours ago and their response was the same as yours.

4 Likes

It’s possibly I’m confusing them saying that they were pansexual…? I know it’s not the same thing, so I’m probably mis-remembering…

8 Likes

Could be, but the person I talked to did remember them coming out as non-binary. Maybe they previously just strongly hinted at it and now officially came out.

7 Likes

Either way, I’m glad Janelle Monae shared with the rest of us. We’re not worthy of them…

Pynk GIF by Janelle Monáe

10 Likes

More of this, please.

Yasmin is just 18 years old, but she’s about to become one of the biggest trans actors working in the TV industry. In Heartstopper , which is based on the hugely popular webcomic of the same name, Yasmin plays a trans teenager who navigates love and friendship after moving to an all girls’ school.

“Oh my god, honestly, I truly am just so blessed to be chosen to be Elle,” Yasmin told PinkNews during a roundtable discussion.

“It really, really, really is such a rare story that we get a trans character that doesn’t delve into gender dysphoria, or depression, or bullying, but just the positive – the friendship, the chosen family, the moving from an all boys’ school to an all girls’ school. Just everything that is natural about being trans is highlighted, and I’m just so happy to be that positive representation that we’ve needed for so many years.”

11 Likes

11 Likes
12 Likes

10 Likes