Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

Arguments by the state fell flat. Defendants, for example, produced no “credible evidence to show that transitional medications are ‘experimental,’” as claimed, Burke noted. The state’s justifications for the law are “hypothesized, not exceedingly persuasive,” the judge added.
Burke issued the injunction after concluding that the “imminent threat of harm to Parent Plaintiffs and Minor Plaintiffs — i.e., severe physical and/or psychological harm” while the case is being argued “outweighs the harm the State will suffer from the injunction.”

13 Likes

Two very different takes on the same song. While there are things about it I’m not a fan of, it’s probably an overall positive.

6 Likes

Not a rap fan, never listened to Kendrick Lamar. I have, in the past, been insensitive and have had to acknowledge that and try to make amends and learn. Over the years, folks here have helped with that and made me a better person for it. Reading his lyrics, i see “i have said these things, i have held these beliefs, i was wrong and i am sorry.” That’s a redemption arc (if i am interpreting it correctly.) If more folks would travel that path we would be better off. My only beef is i wish it wouldn’t take a close loved one coming out to realize that LGBTQ humans are actual, fully realized, humans, but that might be a bridge too far just yet. In the next generation, though, maybe?

13 Likes

A small victory but every one counts

13 Likes
13 Likes

Supportive, positive and welcome. But not completely unproblematic.

13 Likes

The BBC confirmed on Monday (16 May) that Finney has joined the cast of Doctor Who and is currently filming scenes that will air in 2023 to coincide with the show’s 60th anniversary.

Finney will play a character named Rose, but the BBC didn’t offer any more details about her character beyond her floral name.

Yasmin Finney said in a statement that she would have “never in a million years” believed that she would one day be part of the iconic sci-fi series.

“If anyone would have told 8 year old Yasmin that one day she’d be part of this iconic show, I would have never in a million years believed them,” Finney said. “This show has a place in so many people’s hearts, so to be seen as a trans actress by the legend himself Russell, has not only made my year, it’s made my life.”

She added: “I cannot wait to begin this journey and for you all to see how Rose blossoms. Get Ready.”

Davies, who is returning to Doctor Who once again as a showrunner, added that fans all “fell in love” with Finney on Heartstopper – which he said was a show that “changes the world” – and now Finney can “change the Whoniverse”.

“Life on Doctor Who gets brighter and wilder, how can there be another Rose?” Davies teased. “You’ll find out in 2023, but it’s an absolute joy to welcome Yasmin to the Doctor Who set.”

15 Likes

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

When I read the headline, I didn’t realize that Heartstopper was a TV show for a second, and thought they were just calling her gorgeous… :joy:

16 Likes

I haven’t seen it, but It’s been getting a significant amount of praise.

11 Likes

Yeah, once I read the article, I remembered that it was a show…

10 Likes

mary murphy dancing GIF by So You Think You Can Dance

Lucille Ball Reaction GIF

It took so long to stop hearing about the last character with that name!

13 Likes

…yeah… *sigh

11 Likes

This article speculates that she’s going to straight up be Rose Tyler…

12 Likes

Really want to watch it

8 Likes

I read an article about it describing it as a cross between Euphoria and Ted Lasso.

6 Likes

I read this one Heartstopper on Netflix captures the parts of adolescent queerness that aren't just about sex.
It sounds sweet and poignant and … Fluffy? Anyway- the kind of niceness I kind of need more of ATM.

8 Likes

This is the article.

What Heartstopper posits, far beyond the reach of a teen romance, is this: What if the kids are actually alright? The show combines the kids-these-days reality of Euphoria but colors it with Ted Lasso –esque optimism. According to Heartstopper, people are good at their core, even when they’re behaving badly.

10 Likes
9 Likes

The kids are all right.

11 Likes

Yes they are, they made a transphobe apologize.

13 Likes