Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

Finishing last at the Iditarod is a small thing compared to finishing at all.

Awesome. :slight_smile:

7 Likes
14 Likes
12 Likes

Bought gray market for years when I didn’t have insurance.

Stock up! I know I did. Several years put aside now.

12 Likes

The Knights and Orchids Society (TKO Society) is based in Selma, Alabama, but the group’s service area reaches wide across the state. Amid a tidal wave of legislative attacks on LGBT+ rights, the Black trans and LGBT-led grassroots group is doing all it can to help communities in the south.

Out trans actress Tommy Dorfman made her Met Gala debut last night in a stunning green rubber dress and an eye-catching accessory with a positive message.

And with that dress she had a handbag with a message: Protect Trans Kids.

13 Likes

Yasmin Finney, who plays Elle in Netflix’s Heartstopper , has this ineffable softness in her aura that is instantly calming. Even smiling through a computer screen, her energy seems to make the pixels sparkle a little more. Just over one week has passed since the debut of Heartstopper , and in that time she’s amassed over 500,000 new Instagram followers. A newcomer to the industry, she is now officially a working actress.

Growing up as a young Black trans woman in Manchester, England, Yasmin has gone from documenting her trans journey on TikTok, to portraying the journey of Elle Argent, a story focusing on friendship and joy and happiness — one that has already beamed into millions of homes. Heartstopper ’s first season focuses on the burgeoning love between Charlie (Joe Locke) and Nick (Kit Connor), but it also follows their former classmate Elle as she transfers to Harvey Greene Grammar School for Girls, keeping her head down and just trying to acclimatize. Along the way, she befriends Tara and Darcy, played by Corinna Brown and Kizzy Edgell, and sparks fly between her and William Gao’s Tao Xu.

Appearing over Zoom with a shoulder-length bob, Teen Vogue caught up with Yasmin to unpack the fan response to Heartstopper , living out her high school fantasies, and what her future looks like.

13 Likes

No reason she shouldn’t play cis roles, either!

12 Likes
13 Likes

More on this play…

11 Likes
13 Likes

Home town shero.

12 Likes

Author of the book American Fascism.

9 Likes
9 Likes

With kids coming out now in middle school and grammar school, this is a very important subject. My daughter has trans friends in 8th grade and knows 7th graders too. I think it’s beautiful how accepting this generation is of sexual preferences, pronouns, etc. We’ve come a long way since I was in junior high.

12 Likes

And this is exactly what is terrifying the right so much.

10 Likes

I feel the same way. I lacked the vocabulary to understand how I was feeling, but I was acting in gender non-conforming ways well before junior high. Unfortunately society taught me at an early age that being different was frowned upon so I kept myself closeted for a long time.

10 Likes

It gives me hope too. But it’s on us adults to get the US through the next decade without descending into full on fascism. We have to protect these vulnerable kids

Also, welcome to boingboing

White Cat Hello GIF

11 Likes

11 Likes

An objectively better greeting!

11 Likes
17 Likes