Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

17 Likes

What marvelous humans the Tennants areā€¦

17 Likes

SIO428: Regret After Gender-Affirming Surgery Is Virtually Nonexistent

Dr. Harry Barbee out of Johns Hopkins University recently co-authored a meta-analysis in JAMA Surgery, examining postoperative regret for those people seeking gender-affirming care. We talk about how many people actually regret receiving surgery, how that compares with general postoperative regret in the cisgender population, the politics and misinformation influencing the bad science in this area of study, and what we can do about it.

Another piece by Dr. Barbee advocating for sanctuary locations for gender-affirming care: Transgender Youths and Sanctuaries for Gender-Affirming Care

12 Likes

In any other procedure, absolutely any, and bar none, the success rate and patient satisfaction rate of gender confirmation surgery would be considered just short of miraculous. But the politics of this come down to ā€œBut what about the <1% who have regrets? We must protect them!ā€ Dude, first off, we are talking about choices adults make about their own bodies. GC surgery on minors is like late term abortions. Almost never happens, but the right believes is an everyday occurrence. Considering the things that adults do to their bodies that they sincerely and bitterly regret, but no one gives a damn, I somehow think the concern is not what they say it is. As always, it is ā€œI donā€™t want these people to exist.ā€ Period.

17 Likes

This is a very good point which I will borrow for future arguments.

12 Likes

Compare that to so-called ā€œconversion therapyā€ for minors which has only been banned in 22 states, and always over extreme opposition from conservatives, with one state (Indiana) going so far as to make it illegal for local jurisdictions to ban the practice.

I hate to make the comparison because gender affirming care is a bona fide medical practice with clearly defined protocols and, as stated, has a high success and satisfaction rate. ā€œConversion therapyā€, on the other hand, is left up to the individual practitioner. For this reason it canā€™t even be studied but no form has ever been shown to be successful.

And yet when bans on ā€œconversion therapyā€ are proposed the arguments from conservatives are the exact opposite of the ones they make for gender affirming care: that parents should be allowed to decide if itā€™s right for their children, and if adults want to make that choice itā€™s their right. Thatā€™s why I bring it up.

7 Likes

If and only if the parents agree with the fascist talking points. This is absolutely never about ā€œparental freedom,ā€ itā€™s about obedience. Pure and simple. ā€œYou are absolutely free to obey your betters without question. That is all.ā€

13 Likes

The woman Iā€™m a caregiver for just got summoned for jury duty. I was helping her fill out the questionnaire, and under gender, there were three options: Female, Male, and Non-Binary or Undesignated.

15 Likes

Worldā€™s Largest Psych Association Passes Policy Supporting Trans Youth Care By Massive Margin

The American Psychological Association, representing 157,000 members, has issued a resolution calling for an end to trans care bans and misinformation around care.

11 Likes

all album proceeds go to Trans Lifeline, a peer support and crisis hotline for transgender and genderqueer people all over the United States.

credits

released February 29, 2024

All songs, music and lyrics, originally by Jimmy Eat World.

Cover art by Emily Rose Reed.

Thank you to all the artists who submitted.

The trans agenda is a normal life expectancy. Protect trans kids.

11 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes
The popular gaming YouTuber **ā€”** who uses he/him pronouns **ā€”** took to Twitter on 2 March to announce that he is [ā€œcoming outā€](https://www.thepinknews.com/community/coming-out/).

The Twitch streamer then posted a YouTube update, revealing that he recently started undergoing HRT after cross-dressing for years on his channel. ā€œAfter doing it for a ā€˜memeā€™, I wanted to explore my gender a bit more.ā€

He began: ā€œIt took a while to feel comfortable to make this video. I donā€™t know why, but Iā€™m very scared.

ā€œI want so badly to be able to talk about what Iā€™ve been doing, and itā€™s really hard to if no one knows. I want to talk about my life openly and all the amazing things that have happened,ā€ he revealed.

The online personality opened up about feeling ā€œstressed outā€ about identifying himself before realising, ā€œI think the label that suits me best is gender-fluidā€.

You may like to watch

ā€œI feel really comfortable with who I am. Iā€™m so glad I got to this point with such a supportive group of people,ā€ he added.

The gamer explained that he doesnā€™t want his existence to be part of a political debate, concluding: ā€œI am just here to be me.ā€

12 Likes

I donā€™t know who that is, but yay! I think there will be more gender fluid and other nonbinary folks as the years go on and everyone starts to realize just how much of a social construct gender is. If Iā€™m fully honest, if I came out today, I would probably identify as gender queer/nonbinary. I still may decide that better describes me, but alsoā€¦like F1NN5TER says in that videoā€¦I donā€™t really care? Like the label isnā€™t that personally important to me.

13 Likes
10 Likes

Itā€™s me! Iā€™m the nonbinary folks coming out today, after realizing how much of a social construct gender is, and after seeing so many beautifully, visibly queer people finding acceptance and thriving in the communities Iā€™m a part of!

13 Likes
5 Likes

It is also me. Gender is a free form text field.

8 Likes
13 Likes

Ooh, if that were closer to me, I might check it out. I havenā€™t met any trans people since I moved to New Jersey. And the ones in my online AA group are all in their 20s. Or younger.

9 Likes