Troll of the year: Putin offers to release transcript of Trump's meeting with Russian diplomats

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/17/troll-of-the-year-putin-offer.html

2 Likes

I can’t even be mad. That’s pretty funny.

29 Likes

I wonder if there are tapes?

11 Likes

One of the funniest bits about this claim is the implication that Putin would know what information Trump shared was marked “Classified.”

25 Likes

For a veteran of the secret police, this must be the culmination of a career.

29 Likes

In Soviet Russia, memos leak you.

11 Likes

33 Likes

According to early reports there were but the reports were based on a bad translation:

“…The word запись (zapis’) in Russian can mean either an audio or video recording, or a written record or transcript. And as an aide to Putin explained after the Russian president had made the remarks at a press conference, such a meeting with a foreign leader would have included a stenographer but not an audio recording. “The record [запись] is done by someone who is at the talks specifically for that purpose,” he said (link in Russian).” QuartzMedia

Of course there were tapes… /s

8 Likes

I seem to remember some moment in Obama’s presidency where Obama was talking to Putin about how the US could help Russia with some computer issue they were experiencing and Putin got salty with something like “Russia does not need the US to solve its problems.”

This seems like Putin has had revenge for that.

4 Likes

If it was in the President’s Daily Brief document, then it was probably classified. The whole point of those is to keep the president up-to-date on the latest sensitive stuff. What would be the point of including information that could be transmitted safely over unsecured channels?

3 Likes

It would be funnier if he offered to release audio tape.

9 Likes

I find it interesting that Putin now feels comfortable jumping into the game. I’m guessing that it became just too irresistible for him. So sweet are the spoils! Putin’s overt participation today is a key event in this continuing saga.

4 Likes

Sharing. Whom do I credit?

2 Likes

Right, but my point is “how would Putin know if the information Trump shared with his guys had come from his daily intelligence briefing?” The only way Putin could declare with confidence that Trump didn’t share classified information is if Putin could somehow review all the intel Trump was getting and compare that to the information he shared.

8 Likes

What would be really funny would be if one or the other side actually made an audio tape of the meeting, as opposed to recording it on their phone or whatever. Although, wouldn’t it be more appropriately Russian to use a wire recorder?

2 Likes

Some dude on Tumblr, who I’ve not the foggiest.

1 Like

This just in from Putin “Just ignore blacked out parts, those are inconsequential.”

3 Likes

The article uses the word “significant”, not “classified”. My take is that Trump shared something “classified” that the Russians already knew about.

1 Like

Of course the Russians have a transcript. Likely recordings as well. An underreported aspect of Trump’s meeting with the Russians is that the U.S. media was excluded, while the Russian state-run media was welcomed with open arms. So typical of our Autocrat in Chief.

5 Likes

Even if that was the case it wouldn’t be much of an excuse.

PLANNERS: Don’t tell Susie about the surprise party.
TRUMP: Hey Susie, I can’t wait to attend your surprise party this Saturday and also Israel has a mole in the ISIS cell in Mosul.
PLANNERS: Dude!
SUSIE: It’s OK, I kind of guessed you guys might be planning something for Saturday.
TRUMP: See? No big deal.

13 Likes