Trump accuses Comey of lying under oath, which is a felony

He’s done that numerous times.

I think he’s referring to the fact that nobody expected his win.

Could well be the interference but, regardless of the facts he’s privy to, his personality isn’t likely to accept that explanation…

1 Like

That’s my point, though: he isn’t supporting “populists”, he’s specifically supporting the authoritarian right.

I disagree with the description of Trump/Le Pen/Farage as populists.

The populists promoted policies aimed to benefit and appeal to the working class; Trump et al offer policies designed to intensify plutocracy while appealing to the bigotry of a minority of the population, drawn primarily from the middle class. They aren’t populists, they’re fascists.

The notable recent populist movements were the anti-plutocracy anti-neoliberal campaigns of Corbyn, Bernie, the Pirates, etc. Putin wasn’t supporting those.

8 Likes

Does anybody else feel like we’re seeing the post-breakup phase of an an unrequited bromance of True for Comey?

Listening to Comey’s testimony, I got the sense of a Donald Trump we don’t talk about- a really, creepy one with some kind of homosexual attraction to Comey. There’s the romantic dinner where Trump asked for “Loyalty” and the time where Trump singled out Comey (who was hiding in the drapes) and, of course, there was “that thing” that Trump felt they had.

It’s almost like Trump is acting like a stalky, rejected suitor…

5 Likes

Populism is, by its most basic definition, “the quality of appealing to or being aimed at ordinary people/the common man” (as opposed to the “elites”). In politics that populism can be driven by leftist ideology (e.g Corbyn, Sanders) or from the right (e.g. Le Pen, Farage, Il Douche).

What confuses things a little is that right-wing populists are almost always authoritarian, and that they’re really more interested in making themselves a new elite the moment they take control (despite their rhetoric, “ordinary people” are only a means to power). Further confusing things is the fact that right-wing populists often ally with existing conservative elites (who think that the populists can be controlled) with the goal of either turning on them or forcing them to join the new elite. Another confusing element is that right-wing populist demagogues are often confidence artists who only pretend they’re not members of the elite.

Putin actually does support some radical left-wing populist movements, although not to the degree he supports the right-wing ones. For obvious reasons (since he himself is a corrupt crony capitalist plutocrat) he doesn’t support the less radical anti-plutocratic left-wing populists you mention.

4 Likes

And that’s where the senator’s reference to “Becket” came from.

4 Likes

Just another case of the pot calling the porcelain black.

1 Like

“Donald Trump went full Donald Trump”

7 Likes

I never thought I would miss GWB for his facility with language.

If someone actually cared for 45 they would not have let him get in a situation where he steps on his dick so publicly every time he opens his mouth.

7 Likes

Maybe that’s why he wears his neckties so long.

6 Likes

Fucking. This.

2 Likes

It is very improbable that Trump colluded with the DNC to hijack the republican ticket, in order to present HRC with the worst possible opponent, and assure her victory. And that even then, they underestimated what a toxic candidate she was.

But I have not yet heard an explanation for what happened during the election that makes any sense.

Thank you thank you…You Get me

5 Likes

Funny you should mention that. Yes I got that vibe too. Trump being even more creepy to Comey than the usually is when he “likes” someone… For example, I found it interesting how Drumpf repeated three times how he “hardly knows the guy”, and it provokes a feeling that he actually, maybe subconsciously, wanted to get closer to him but was unable to. And that exchange in the blue room, where Drumpf spots Comey, has this weird vibe of unwanted forced familiarity from Drumpf.

It was mostly just a weird feeling until you mentioned it.

This would be a big deal if he wasn’t Teflon Don 2.0. He’s too slippery!

I agree with you in this case. It makes for a fun conspiracy theory but this is such a Batman Gambit that I can’t imagine anybody world ever actually try to attempt at this kind of scale.

1 Like

Perhaps he is still using “know” in the “biblical” sense.

2 Likes

Just remember, mid-term elections are in 16 months. If you’re in a state or district where a Congress-critter is up for reelection, vote Dem. If you’re in a solidly Red state or district, try to find Republicans who will vote to impeach. If none of your senators or representatives are up for reelection, you can still help unseat Trumpublicans in other districts and states through volunteer work and activism. These elections are more important than they ever have been before.

The current Congress will not impeach the President, even if the investigation finds he obstructed justice and is being blackmailed by Russia. Presidential impeachment isn’t like a court case where judges are tasked to merely interpret the law. Congress can vote no on impeachment even if the President is proven to have committed a felony in office. And if you don’t think they will let him off the hook, then you haven’t been paying attention.

5 Likes

As we all know, every Representative in the House is up for re-election every time :wink:

3 Likes

Realistically, he’s not going to jail and even if he did a third of the country would see him as a martyr. The best “punishment” we can hope for is public humiliation and financial ruin. Let him die knowing he was the least popular President in history and he’ll be remembered as a bad joke.

3 Likes

It’s why I think Trump’s base is pretty much immune to the consequences of his horrible behavior. He’s awful like that braggart, good-for-nothing cousin. But that braggart, good-for-nothing cousin is still better than that fancy college-educated nephew who now thinks he’s superior to all of us.

The image I keep getting is that we are in some bad direct-to-DVD sequel to Caddyshack (Caddyshack VII?) where Rodney Dangerfield’s character, Al Czervik, has gone on to become President.

3 Likes