Trump appears to think Paris is in Germany

I’m not finding similar info for other nations*, but looking at the Australia trend I kind of wonder if something has been happening with Conservative parties. Doesn’t it seem a bit like if you compare the 1980s to now, right-wing political parties have just become more misogynist? Maybe it’s just because I was younger and not paying attention. Maybe it’s just that they are still 1980s-misogynist while other parties have moved on somewhat. But, admitting I may be wrong, I really feel like neo-conservativism (or neo-liberalism or whatever you call the philosophy of burning down society so the progressives can’t get their hands on it) brought a particularly misogynist twist to right-wing parties.

Pure speculation, I guess. I don’t think there is anything inherently gendered about progressivism vs. conservativism.

2 Likes

You’re both right of course, I just think it’s interesting that views that are generally viewed as pro-women don’t necessarily find a lot of support among women - sometimes even less than they do among men. It seems like a positive thing for a family to be able to survive on one income if they want to though, whoever it is who stays at home.

Significantly more women than men are politically opposed to abortion in the UK, although women in the US have been more pro-choice then men since 2012.

I think people are often convinced by different arguments in a number of these issues, but I suspect “pro-life” policies in the US were getting a little too blatantly anti-women by 4 or 5 years ago. WRT income equality, having to support the family with the main wage is not necessarily an advantage, especially with robust divorce laws. I would imagine quite a significant difference in the answers to the questions “Would you like women in general to earn at least as much as men” and “Would you like to be married to someone who didn’t earn as much as you”. The second question may explain why men are more likely to choose equality in answer to the survey.

1 Like

I think this mostly nails it, but let’s not leave the Dominionists out of the equation (at least for the US). The movement is inherently misogynist.

I may have actually misunderstood the implications of the analysis I had read, come to think of it.

Sadly the definition of conservative has changed since that saying was coined. Back then it meant more of not being opposed to change as much as maybe we shouldn’t test the waters by jumping in head first. LIke old and wise enough to not rush into things instead of GUNS/JESUS/MURRICA that it is now.

“Conservative”, once upon a time: measure twice, cut once.

But now, “conservative” means: reactionary.

5 Likes

And while my political views lean more left as I get older, the lets make sure of things before pushing the button feeling has definitely been stronger.

4 Likes

Yeah, I had a look again and women in the UK did vote significantly more conservatively (i.e. right wing) than men until a strong leftward movement in the 1970s and 80s (which might have been women remaining static and politics generally moving right with the advent of neoliberalism, to be fair). There are similar patterns in other countries.

Basically, I done fucked up. Didn’t re-check what I thought I knew.

3 Likes

Women proto voters before they were allowed to vote were of course hugely radical (it’s kind of a recurring topic with me at the moment due to centenary celebrations in Ireland and family history) but the idea that women would vote as women in female voting blocs was represented as facile/childish/not serious politics/the reason they weren’t allowed vote.

Overall, if I had to simplify politics into women and men I would think that they have less investment in some entrenched power systems like racism than men do, but are not necessarily more able to transcend naive class self interest than men are.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.