Trump begs Mexico president: 'I have to have Mexico pay for the wall – I have to'

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/03/trump-begs-mexico-president-to.html

7 Likes

Yeah good luck with that Herr Drumpf…

8 Likes

tumblr_ou0ivhIUNB1v1fssvo1_500

42 Likes

"But the fact is we are both in a little bit of a political bind because I have to have Mexico pay for the wall – I have to.” – Trump to Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto on a January 27, 2017 phone call.

Data

61 Likes

If he truly cannot live with that, I can accept that outcome.

Hold firm, Señor Presidente!

33 Likes

"The funding ‘will work out in the formula somehow’… it will come out in the wash, and that is okay.”

TRANSLATION: "Please pay for the wall, and the US will pay Mexico back but cook the books in a way that would conceal that payback.”

39 Likes

“You have to understand Mr. President, ‘Death to America’ was one of my central campaign promises. Can’t you at least find a way to meet me half way here??”

—Ali Khamenei, Supreme Leader of Iran

64 Likes

If Trump truly believes there’s a chance Mexico will pay for the wall, he’d best stay away from Jeff Sessions until he comes down from his high. It may take a couple years, though, since you have to be pretty damn high to believe that.

7 Likes

LOL. He basically admitted it was a dumb issue, but he has to keep harping on it to save face.

23 Likes

Trump: But you cannot say that to the press. The press is going to go with that and I cannot live with that.

Nieto: (phone muffled with hand) Hey, will somebody get me the press?

28 Likes

Mexican President’s reaction

26 Likes

I bet Nieto had him on speakerphone and was giggling quietly with his staff.

15 Likes

“Trump begs negotiates with Mexican president…”

This is just step 5 of his surefire formula for business success, “Use your leverage.”

20 Likes

So, what is this no-so-important wall costing now? $21 BILLION or $25 BILLION?

10 Likes

I may be wrong on this, but I’m pretty sure the Soviet Union never even tried to get West Germany to pay for the Berlin Wall because that would be kind of a ridiculous thing to expect them to do.

39 Likes

This is almost too good.
How do we know it’s true.

3 Likes

What a whiney ass twitter baby.

14 Likes

I see that sarcasm is strong in you.

8 Likes

Nieto: As you say in America, Wha Wha Wha Whaaa

7 Likes

Not normal: The calls remain classified, so the fact that the transcripts made it to the Post is a serious issue. Both documents include notes that the transcripts had been reviewed by Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg Jr., the chief of staff for the National Security Council.” -Axios

Somebody earned their Leaker merit badge today.

LeakerMeritBadge

43 Likes